1976 75 hp power head issues, HELP!!!

Jimmy C

Recruit
What I have is an 1976 Evinrude 75 hp Model 75642D running a short shaft. The motor would run only with the choke on and then under no load. The mechanic checked the carbs and then informed me that the "labyrinth" seal was history and that the motor would no longer draw suction for fuel. So evidently I'm looking for a power head.

My question is this; Up to what year can I go to and what horse power so that all my electrical and other bolt-ons (carbs etc.) will still work?

Thank you in advance for the advice.

Jimmy C

hidef

Lieutenant
Re: 1976 75 hp power head issues, HELP!!!

All the seals and gaskets for your engine are available. Is your compression still good? If it is why shop for a used power head that might have worse issues than yours. You might also consider repowering look around you might get a newer outboard for a lot less than you think.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Lots of questions, what is a "labylinth seal"? If your engine has good spark and compression, every thing else is repairable.
If it will only run with the choke on I would think you have fuel delivery problems, probably need to overhaul the carbs.
Have your mechanic show you the seal he is talking about on a parts breakdown and post the part number, I would be interested to see what it is.

M

mrcrabs

Lots of questions, what is a "labylinth seal"?
he said "labyrinth" seal not
"labylinth seal"?

Railroad crossing with out any cars, can you spell "that" with out any R's

everyone but you knows what a labyrinth seal is Davit....it seals the labyrinth :D

My question is this; Up to what year can I go to and what horse power so that all my electrical and other bolt-ons (carbs etc.) will still work?

I'm thinking anything from 73-thru the mid 80's should work having all the bolt ons holes where they should be, with out looking up data I can't say for sure