Now the alternator?

jmarty10

Chief Petty Officer
My battery was drained from what I believe was a stuck float switch on my bilge pump. Took the battery to autozone had it tested and charged. Last night I fired up the engine. I noticed on my dash voltmeter I was a little above 13v at idle. At 1200 rpm at 13.2 maybe 13.3. I seem to remember though, before the drain, I would start the boat and be over 14v? Is the 13v normal rate at idle. Should I wait to take boat out at high RPM to see if it get to 14.2v? The alternator was hot to the touch so I assume it may be working? I'm thinking of taking battery back to autozone to re-test just in case. Your thoguhts. Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Now the alternator?

Ayuh,... That sounds about right for a fully charged battery...

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I agree.. If the battery is fully charged the alternator will put out less. Just take a meter and test the battery voltage. It will be lower when the motor isn't running..

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

...agreeing that the battery is close to fully charged and thus the lower than expected output from the alternator. Next time you're runnung the beast, turn all your electrical stuff on, especially hi-draw stuff like the cig. ligher and note the voltage reading.

jmarty10

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Guys. That makes sense, when I ran the blower an bilge the volts did go down but came up when I high idled. I had alternator problems (amonst other things) on my old boat that caused me to get stuck so I want to be careful