2000 Mecruiser 5.0 Alpha 1 slow to turn over

numbersguy

Cadet
I have a 2000 Maxum with a 5.0 L engine that I just bought. The boat has low hours and is in great shape. The older gentle man I bought it from couldn't really tell me how many hours he had on it. He bought it new to take his grandkids tubing and skiing with. It hasn't been used for 2 years but he stored it in a garage with all the covers on it and had it winterized professionally.

The tube still looks new and the skiis still had the sticker on the bottom becasue he used it so little.

My Problem:
I put a new marine battery in it and it turns over really slow, like the battery is low on charge. I'm sure we've all heard the sound...rrr....rrrr....rrr, then it starts right up and runs great. I've run it several times this week and the battery is charging but I still get that slow turnover.
I cleaned the cable on the battery end, but not the starter end. I'll do that this weekend.

Any ideas on this? Could this be a starter problem?

Also, I can't find an hour meter on it is this normal? I thought all newer inboards would have this.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 2000 Mecruiser 5.0 Alpha 1 slow to turn over

Make sure the cable ends on the cables are solid too. I have seen more than my share of cable ends that are held on by only half the cable because the rest are broken and corroded.

Could also be the starter dragging.

Bondo

Staff member

I cleaned the cable on the battery end, but not the starter end. I'll do that this weekend.

Ayuh,... 'n Don't forget the Grounds,.... Both Ends.....

Grease 'em all up when yer done, 'n they'll never corrode again...

numbersguy

Cadet

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that either.

I'll give it a good look and see what gives.

Any way to free up the starter motor if it is dragging?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Any way to free up the starter motor if it is dragging?

Take it to your local starter/alternator repair shop. (NOT a marine shop or auto parts store) they can usually fix problems like that very inexpensively, and they know what they are doing and looking for, and can test the armature.

numbersguy

Cadet

Thanks again.

There is a pretty good shop up there that re-builds starters and alternators. I'll have them look at it if the cables all check out.

The more I check into it, the more it sounds like the starter.