merc 4.3 riser gaskets

MATMAN29

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 99 4.3 mercruiser.I replaced the exhaust manifolds,risers & elbows last season.I took the elbows back off this year to replace the flappers and noticed the riser gaskets had leaked internaly I torqued them to the proper specs in a criss cross patern when I put them on but they still leaked.The manual says not to use gasket sealer on these gaskets(they are the shiny silver ones)but I dont want them to leak again any one know if its ok to use sealer on these gaskets?they are three inch risers.

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: merc 4.3 riser gaskets

If the gaskets leaked internaly,didn't you get water in the engine/crankcase ?<br /><br />DHP

MATMAN29

Seaman Apprentice

no water in the oil but there was water in exhaust manifold didnt look like it was leaking bad but it was leaking.they were completely drained before taking them apart.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Check the manifolds and risers shown in the picture below, if they are not clean shiny metal about 1/4" wide then they need replaced before they cost you an engine. If they are a black carbon substance where the red lines are, they must be replaced.<br />Manifolds and risers DO NOT last forever.<br /><br />
Manifold%20check.jpg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Missed the "New last season" statement on first post, did you use Merc parts or after market parts?

MATMAN29

Seaman Apprentice

I read the boatfix link that says not to use sealent but I have heard of boat techs that do use it.Any sugestions?dont want em to leak again.

MATMAN29

Seaman Apprentice

Brand new all merc parts.No after market junk.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

then most likly you missed the surface flatness test.<br /> what procedure did you use for cleaning and what procedure did you use to check surface flatness ?

MATMAN29

Seaman Apprentice

they were brand new i didnt know I had to check for flatness.whats the proper procedure for cleanind & checking flatness?For when I put them back together

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

just use a metal rule to quickly check. the gaskets you are using are fairly forgiving. i have found they need to be retorqued after the first run due to there very pliable nature.

MATMAN29

Seaman Apprentice

Ok ille check the flatness and go with out the gasket sealer. Thanks Whats the proper cleaning procedure to get the old stuff off can fine sandpaper be used?