bayliner capri bumpy or bouncing ride

rzkas

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hi and how are you? i dont know if my boat has a weight problem or some sort of problem. my issue is , why is the boat so boucning or pounding or bumpy. when i go fast, all i could hear is my boat slaming, pounding down on the water while going and especially when going fast and also going over waves to the point that i will have to stop or slow down coz it too much sometimes. sometimes i feel like the boat might hit the water to hard and break or crack. is this normal for a boat to have too much bumps or gallops or slaming down on water while cruising and going fast? i have been big boat that goes fast and i dont feel any gallops.

i had about trim tabs and doel fin. will they help reduce pounding and bouncing of boat. i want to go fast and smooth but not with a pounding and bouncing ride that might even cause someone a back pain or waist pain especially for those that seat at the bow.

i have a 18 feet bayliner capri with an outboard 120 force engine with a prop. the control has trim and tilt. the boucing, pounding or slaming the water hard happens while riding or riding over waves and it also happens whether there are two people in the boat or more than two peopple in the boat.

thanks

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander
Re: bayliner capri bumpy or bouncing ride

sounds about right for bayliner. not gonna be able to go full speed over wakes n such. Just back out of it, ease over the wake or waves, then get on it again. I keep my hand on the throttle and am constantly making adjustments. It all has to do with the make of the boat, the size, and the shape of the hull. I get the same "cracking" noise from mine too if im too hard on it.

Bondo

Staff member

hi and how are you? i dont know if my boat has a weight problem or some sort of problem. my issue is , why is the boat so boucning or pounding or bumpy. when i go fast, all i could hear is my boat slaming, pounding down on the water while going and especially when going fast and also going over waves to the point that i will have to stop or slow down coz it too much sometimes. sometimes i feel like the boat might hit the water to hard and break or crack. is this normal for a boat to have too much bumps or gallops or slaming down on water while cruising and going fast? i have been big boat that goes fast and i dont feel any gallops.

i had about trim tabs and doel fin. will they help reduce pounding and bouncing of boat. i want to go fast and smooth but not with a pounding and bouncing ride that might even cause someone a back pain or waist pain especially for those that seat at the bow.

i have a 18 feet bayliner capri with an outboard 120 force engine with a prop. the control has trim and tilt. the boucing, pounding or slaming the water hard happens while riding or riding over waves and it also happens whether there are two people in the boat or more than two peopple in the boat.

thanks

Ayuh,... Just like a car,...

Slow Down on the Bumps...

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

This is one of the reasons why people buy bigger, heavier, and more solidly built boats. Take a spin in a Cobalt that's 4 feet longer and you'll be shocked at the difference in ride (and price...).

rzkas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

what is the best boat to buy that will give a smooth ride and go fast without bouncing, pounding. and what length/feet is the best to consider when buying a boat?

so, there is nothing i can add or do to help reduce the bouncing and pounding on my bayliner capri?

Lakerider

Seaman

I have a 1997 Larson 186. It is the same way. It helps to put weight in front of the boat and also if I trim it up to get the bow higher out of the water it seems to be worse. So try trimming down and see if it helps the V in front of the boat cut thru the waves instead of the middle of the boat hull slamming down onto the top of the waves. I can't run wide open if rough out on lakes but i don't have to stop and idle either. I do agree it is in the hull design and next boat I buy I will look deeper into that before dropping any cash

shrew

Lieutenant

trim tabs or smart tabs should help get the bow down and allow the deepet part of the v-hull to cut into the waves. Trimming the drive in (down) will also help. Slowing down will help as well. Unfortunately, it's a boat and things can get bumpy. Unfortunately you gotta drive the boat based on the conditions, which is not always the speed you WANT to run at.

foodfisher

Captain

what is the best boat to buy that will give a smooth ride and go fast without bouncing, pounding. and what length/feet is the best to consider when buying a boat?

so, there is nothing i can add or do to help reduce the bouncing and pounding on my bayliner capri?
A deeper v will run smoother but will also be less stabil when stopped. Not good for fishing. What is your primary use going to be?

rzkas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

fish, cruising, going fast and having fun on the water

dsiekman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You might take a look at a center console. I have a fishing buddy with a 20' Neptune and I am amazed how well it takes the rough stuff.

dsiekman

This is one of the reasons why people buy bigger, heavier, and more solidly built boats. Take a spin in a Cobalt that's 4 feet longer and you'll be shocked at the difference in ride (and price...).

You got that right! Their new 25' bowrider (A25) is just shy of $100k.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

Also as mentioned above, get smarttab trim tabs. After i put them on my boat seemed to handle like a boat a foot or two longer would. really helped it out, especially in choppy water. Best $100 i spent on the boat so far.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

This is an almost unanswerable question. If you're trying to go 40 mph in an 18' boat in 2' of chop, you're gonna get banged around. If you're trying to go 40 mph in a 24' boat in 4' of chop, you're gonna get banged around. If you're trying to go 40 mph in a 30' boat in 8' waves, you're gonna get banged around.

Describe where you boat, what the wind and water conditions are like, and how fast you expect to go without getting banged around :)

rzkas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

what smartab trim tabs series or model is the best for a 18 ft bayline capri with a front bow and an outboard 120hp engine.

Also as mentioned above, get smarttab trim tabs. After i put them on my boat seemed to handle like a boat a foot or two longer would. really helped it out, especially in choppy water. Best $100 i spent on the boat so far.

NYBo

Admiral

I have a 1997 Larson 186. It is the same way. It helps to put weight in front of the boat and also if I trim it up to get the bow higher out of the water it seems to be worse. So try trimming down and see if it helps the V in front of the boat cut thru the waves instead of the middle of the boat hull slamming down onto the top of the waves. I can't run wide open if rough out on lakes but i don't have to stop and idle either. I do agree it is in the hull design and next boat I buy I will look deeper into that before dropping any cash
This is the best and cheapest answer in this thread so far, IMO.

foodfisher

Captain

what smartab trim tabs series or model is the best for a 18 ft bayline capri with a front bow and an outboard 120hp engine.
Calm winds, no problem, go for it. Wind and chop, slow down. Or get a hovercraft

Last edited:

rzkas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i have picked up a smartab. i am waiting for them to arrive. i hope installation will be simple. i got them for 114.oo . is it a good deal or bad deal?

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

i have picked up a smartab. i am waiting for them to arrive. i hope installation will be simple. i got them for 114.oo . is it a good deal or bad deal?

waste of $- it is still a 18ft bayliner capris
You can put lipstick on a pig-but it is still a pig!

kahuna123

Agreed you can't shine shutt
But, when I got in the business a long time ago and old salt told me to never, never make fun of a bayliner. They were cheap and pretty. People who didn't know better would buy them. Then in 6 months when they came in his showroom he didn't have to make excuses for the other boats prices.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

damn folks..... guy didn't ask anyone to tell him his boat was junk.... the rough ride isn't because it's a bayliner... It's because it's a small boat with a fairly shallow deadrise...

The smart tabs will likely be a nice ad on.. They won't make the 17' boat ride like a 24'er tho.