tilt switch question

TMALEGA

Petty Officer 1st Class
OK SO I HAVE THE 1985 85 FORCE OUTBOARD WITH A 3 WIRE TILT MOTOR ON IT. MY QUESTION IS THIS. I FOUND A SWITCH AT BASS PRO LAST NIGHT THAT IS RATED FOR 50AMPS AND ACCORDING TO THE GUY IN THE REPAIR AREA IT SHOULD WORK JUST FIND ON MY SETUP. MY ONLY CONCERN IS THE WIRING GOING INTO THIS NEW SWITCH IS ABOUT HALF THE DIAMETER OF THE WIRING ON THE OLD SYSTEM. I CAN SPLICE THEM IN NO PROBLEM AND IT IS ONLY ABOUT A FOOT FROM THE MOTOR. DO YOU GUYS THINK THAT IT WILL BE OK? LIKE I SAID ACCORDING TO THE BOX IT IS RATED AT 50AMPS, AND FROM WHAT I HAVE READ IT IS A 20 AMP CIRCUIT. ALSO I DO UNDERSTAND THAT THE WIRES ARE AS THICK AS THEY ARE TO HELP THE CURRENT BE ABLE TO REACH THE SWITCH IN THE DASH TO THE MOTOR WITH MINIMAL CURRENT DROP. THIS IS THE SWITCH I FOUND I FOUND IT AT BASS PRO BUT CAN ONLY FIND IT ONLINE AT ACADEMYS WEBSITE.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st...RANSOM&Ntk=All

This question is probably for you RRITT. lol i had it in the electrical forum and they werent sure.

TMALEGA

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: tilt switch question

Anyone got a idea on this? I dont want to put it on thinking it would be ok then fry my wires for the system. Thanks.

RRitt

Captain

generally speaking ..
up to 3ft of 14awg, 6ft of 12awg, 10ft of 10awg.

the problem is voltage drop. Power is voltage squared so even a small drop makes a big difference. you can search internet for voltage drop per foot for every gauge of wire. Measure length of cable from batery to motor and double it (you also lose voltage on the return to ground). If you lose 1v in each direction (2v total) then you are leaving about 30% of your power in in the cable.

TMALEGA

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok thank you rritt. I knew the voltage drop stuff i just wasnt sure on the power going through it if it would melt the wires or not. It is only about 2 ft at most from where i was going to mount it to the boat and where it joins into the rest of the wiring harness then again a 2-3 ft length out to the motor. I may just try and see if that flush mount switch will do ok in the wood. My biggest concern is that the flush mount wont have the ability to hold into the deep wood. There are clips right behind the face of the flush mount switch.. This other one just sits on top of it all.

RRitt

Captain

Ok thank you rritt. I knew the voltage drop stuff i just wasnt sure on the power going through it if it would melt the wires or not. It is only about 2 ft at most from where i was going to mount it to the boat and where it joins into the rest of the wiring harness then again a 2-3 ft length out to the motor. I may just try and see if that flush mount switch will do ok in the wood. My biggest concern is that the flush mount wont have the ability to hold into the deep wood. There are clips right behind the face of the flush mount switch.. This other one just sits on top of it all.

the wires can get warm. But your real worry is voltage drop. You only have 12v to start with. On the 3w systems you are already running on the edge and don't have the luxury of throwing power away. You can actually harm the motor by running undervoltage.

2w systems are not as sensitive. The wire length is 34" and 14awg works just great. If you are digging into it fairly deep then go ahead and make the conversion to 2w. Heavy copper is so expensive that you end up with a better system for less $$.

TMALEGA

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok then i will check this out tonight when i get home. Thank you for all the advice i meant no disrspect if any was inmplied. Earlier. Thank you again.