Boston Whaler 13

UncleJonny

Cadet
I'm in the market for a 13' Boston Whaler. Currently there are two options in my area in the used market.

1. 1985 BW 13 with a 1985 40hp Johnson for $3500. Wood is refinished and hull looks good.
2. 1987 BW 13 with a 1987 40hp Yamaha for $3200. Wood looks rough and hull looks good.

I've been boating for a long time but new to the Whaler market. Does this seem like a good price for a boat of this age? Any other comments would really help. Thanks for the help!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Boston Whaler 13

look around "continuous wave" a whaler collector/restorer site. they are great boats and even though some debate the value, the market speaks: they are pricey. For that money, go back to a blue hull from the sixties!
A 40 is a big (but popular) motor on it; it will be very fast.

Or if you want a project, this one is still on the beach; this was in April; there are more pieces now!

Attachments

• old whaler 1.jpg
    old whaler 1.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 0

NYBo

Admiral

I've seen similar boats advertised around here for a lot more money. I'm talking $5K to $6K.

high'n'dry

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Boston Whalers, like it or not, old or new, are among the most expensive boats in the market. A nice, clean, unmodified hull will always command top dollar. The 13 foot is an especially popular model and even though many were made, many were horribly abused and strangely modified. If these are good, clean hulls, they are worth that price.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

With original interior they sound very good. Refinishing the mahogany is not very hard and you can save $200 by doing that yourself, provided it has the original, mahogany interior.

Lots of folks recommend the blue tub (1972 and earlier) hulls, but the light tub (smirked) hulls are superior in handling and ride.

Anything that is known on the planet about Whalers is available on ContinuousWave.com, as mentioned by Home Cookin'.

Caution: Once you have owned a Boston Whaler, it is like owning a Porsche. . .nothing else will do.

high'n'dry

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you are going to play with the posts then you don't get my photos either for this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

the one with the boys jumping off--that's the one!

the military/LEO boats are really cool; many were made with a side door.

(Not to sound like CW--I have my family's 1964 13' but I like the new ones, too! Too bad it's got that way; it was a good site and I'm sure there's good info to be gleaned)