OMC-Replaceing Gimbal Bearing?

rybad

Petty Officer 1st Class
I pulled my outdrive and water milky water/oil came out of the u-joint bellow. I cleaned it up the best I can, and pumped new grease into the gimbal until the milk stopped, and fresh grease was coming out. <br /><br />My question is related to:<br /><br />The gimbal bearing turns smoothly, but seems to be a little "tight". I know it's hard to explain, but how "freely" should I be able to turn it by hand.<br /><br />I guess a follow up question is. How hard is it to change the bearing. I can get a transom service kit, which includes the bearing is about $90, and since I have the drive off anyway, I think I should just replace it. Do I need to replace anything else with the bearing, or just the bearing itself, and are the any special tools to remove or install the bearing, or can I use standard automotive type tools.<br /><br />Thanks in advance for your advice.<br /><br />-Dave

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: OMC-Replaceing Gimbal Bearing?

If you had milky water coming out of the bellows, tht means the drive has water in it also and is pushing the oil out. This may have damaged the front seal in the process. The ujoints also have water in them. How hard it is to change the gimbal, ujoints, and front seal depends on your abilities and tools. You also need to replace the bellows, that's where the water came from to begin with.<br />Get a service manual, that is the best way to see what is involved in the process.

rybad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks.. I have several service manuals.. unfortunatly they don't tell you if something is very diffiult. In fact, they make everything seem easy.<br /><br />I ordered the transom service kit. A couple other boaters told me that they thought the gimbal bearing looked fine, but since I have it off, I'm going to replace it.<br /><br />When I said milky oil in the bellow, it was a very small amount. I don't think it was oil as much as I think it's just what mixed up with the bearing grease.

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would change the bearing if it feels tight or if u can hear any scraping when u turn it. You will need a slide hammer to pull the bearing. Many rental centers have them to rent. If the bearing has any rust on it, they can be a bear to remove. Give it a good soaking with some pb blaster & let it soak overnite. When u put the new bearing in, make sure u tap it in straight & align the grease hole. Scribe a mark on the bearing. You may also have to line up the drive with the engine coupler, for that u will need an alignment tool. Also, grease the u joints until water stops coming out, u should be ok. Good luck.

rybad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks.. I do already have the alignment tool. The bearing looks very clean, no rust. It does turn, but it's difficult to turn by hand (slippery). If I insert the alignment tool so that it grips the bearing, I can turn it. It's about as tight as turning a door know (maybe slightly more). Does anyone know if that sounds good or bad?<br /><br />It does not make any noise, and feels like it turns smoothly. However, last summer, I did notice a faint "humming" sound coming off that outdrive only when in gear. I guess I'm thinking the humming is because the bearing is not turning freely (??)<br /><br />-Dave