hinges.... suitability...

daydreamer1252

Petty Officer 1st Class
Am about to obtain hinges or a hinge for the motor cover/sunpad for boat I am rebuilding. Hinged edge is 71 inches. Trying to decide if a continuous (piano) hinge (3 inches
wide when laying open) or say 6-8 hinges like these ( http://www.boatoutfitters.com/store/p/67-Stainless-Steel-Butt-Hinge-3-x-1-5-.html ) are the better choice. The
sunpad is 3/4 material and the mounting edge on the boat deck is about as straight as is possible to be...+/- a 1/16 as close as I can measure.

What are the pros and cons to both? What difficulties am I likely to encounter in installing either system?

As always any and all information, opinions and critiques are solicited.

Thanks to all in advance...

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
Re: hinges.... suitability...

I have a 6' x 3" SS piano hinge in my refurbished '72 Starcraft. It actually hinges 3 separate "lids" from the stern cross-member. I got it at a local marine flea market for $10. I'm sure it's regularly worth at least $80. Sounds expensive, but you could spend the same on a number of smaller SS hinges. Equally priced, I'd install the piano hinge. The install is simpler and you won't have any binding issues from misaligned hinges. Looks better too. - Grandad

daydreamer1252

Petty Officer 1st Class

Granddad, sounds like you got the est of both worlds.....the right part and the right price.....that same basic hinge, delivered is about $60.....is very high on
the list...cosmetics are not of a real high priority as only the smallest part of the hinge (at the "joint") will be visible maybe a 1/4" viewing.
Thanks for you input

ezmobee, those hinges that you bought...there is not much info about actual material thickness etc. this motor cover/sunpad will get use as a sunpad and
"from water access" (up the ladder) will all come across this cover......I of course would use multiples probably 4 for this use...Do you think they would hold up to that kind of use??

thanks to both for your replies.....anyone else have any to add??

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

"from water access" (up the ladder) will all come across this cover......I of course would use multiples probably 4 for this use...Do you think they would hold up to that kind of use??
At the hinged top of most fold down "sleeper seats", manufacturers use a piano hinge covered by upholstery vinyl during installation of the hinge. That would make the hinge waterproof. Of course it would cover up that 1/4" of nice shiny stainless. Vinyl covering a cheaper aluminum piano hinge might be the best route to go. Aluminum will wear faster than stainless, but for sure it'll last longer than the upholstery. - Grandad

daydreamer1252

Petty Officer 1st Class

Grandad,
Now that you mention it they are covered by upholstery....that should be do-able....the hinge you found is a better choice than 4 shorter lengths that I was
considering...I don't think that the wear is really a factor....will probably get used 6-8 times per week 20 weeks a year.....for 15 years that's only 2400 cycles
over a life time with relatively light loading during the cycles......will give that serious thought....I guess if it wore out in 10 years I could just replace it again....

thanks again........