5.0L MPI Merc, HP fuel pump and filter?

KetchiMan

Seaman
2004 Merc 5.0L MPI (Engine serial # OWO18920)

Engine has been extremely low on power (sometimes, won't even get up on a plane) and seems starved for fuel. If I feather the throttle up gently about 100 rpm at a time, it will get up and go after a few minutes, but is still low on power and will only go about 25 mph as opposed to the normal 36-38 mph it can do at WOT. Replaced the LP pump and filter/separator. Didn't fix it. There was a good deal of water in the separator (75% water, 25% gas), but I replaced it with at new separator (which hasn't filled up with water..... yet) and the problem continued.

In replacing the filter, air got into the system, so the engine started for a minute, died from the air and then wouldn't restart. The HP pump wouldn't prime itself. I could hear it pumping air and not grabbing any fuel. I used the pressure test schrade valve to let some of the air out as the pump ran, and I was finally able to "bleed" out some of the air and I could hear the pump finally grab some fuel. The boat then started and idled just fine and would rev up just fine, but still won't put out the horsepower to get up on step and go. You can feel it trying every once in a while for half a second, but then just can't do it.

Is the failure to prime itself an indicator of a problem with the HP pump?
Is there another filter before the HP pump that could be clogged and preventing the pump from priming?
If water got by the first separator, is there someplace else it could cause my problems?

Is there something else painfully obvious that I might be overlooking?
Why won't my boat just work???? :)

Thanks,
-Nick

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 5.0L MPI Merc, HP fuel pump and filter?

There was a good deal of water in the separator (75% water, 25% gas), but I replaced it with at new separator (which hasn't filled up with water..... yet) and the problem continued.
What about all the water already in the fuel rail and probably plugging up the injectors?

Your new boost pump should be drawing fuel from the tank and priming the filter. Just for ease on pumps I usually pre-fill the filter element with new clean gas before installing.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=212830&p=1424234&viewfull=1#post1424234

With that much water in your old fuel filter, before I ever started the engine on that tank, I would get all the water out of it. Like this

Run the new filter and pump off a remote (outboard fuel tank) tank untill you clean you tank.

KetchiMan

Seaman
Re: 5.0L MPI Merc, HP fuel pump and filter?

Thanks Don S,

I will do exactly that today.

How do I go about caring for the water in the fuel rail and plugging the injectors after I clean out the tank?

Fuel drier? Injector cleaner? Both? Which injector cleaner?

Thanks,
-Nick