Omc 382 spmrcom

ducksoup

Cadet
I have a playcraft party barge 1985 model with the OMC 382 SPMRCOM motor/outdrive.

Question is what type of out drive is this (cobra/stinger..etc)?

Also, i was crusing along and there was a knocking sound, reduced speed and then the prop started spinning. I was able to limp back to marina at a dead slow pace. Would this be a u joint problem?

Help is needed.

Thanks
Ducksoup

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: Omc 382 spmrcom

It is an 800 series mechanical shift stringer drive
There are no u-joints, but there are ball gears you might want to look at

"prop started spinning".... isn't that a good thing?

a common failure in 800 series is water pump shaft splines stripping because the grease washes out of the splines every few seasons. Greasing this spline is addressed when the impeller is replaced (recommended every 2 or 3 years)

ducksoup

Cadet

The boat mechanic up at the lake took a look at it and quickly said that the out drive is gone.
I'm not real sure what he means by "outdirve". Would this mean both the upper and lower gear housing?

Thanks for the info on the Stringer drive. Darn those rebuilt drives are expensive.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

shame to buy a rebuilt drive when a w/p driveshaft is $129

don't replace it - ask for a quote to repair it elsewhere.
There are 2 separate gearboxes in that drive, it's impossible for them to both fail simultaneously. Sounds fishy.

ducksoup

Cadet

Thanks for the info.

I'll bring the boat to my shop and get started. Any advise on how to repair both the tilt and trim. Neither one is working and I suspect it has to do with electrical wiring.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

start cleaning up wiring. file terminals and nuts on the relays for both systems until clean and shiny, and follow the heavy wires back to two 50A barrel type fuses- common for them to get corroded inside