compression tester

R&DMACHINIST

Seaman
Im going to get a compression tester so I can check all the Johnson/Evinrude outboards from the late 40's-late 50's I've accumulated over the last month,& am wondering is there a certain one or a special thread pitch I need to look for?
Any suggestions on maybe what to buy or more importantly what NOT to buy?
Thanks,
R&DMACHINIST

AlTn

Commander
Re: compression tester

I got one from Harbor Freight...comes with a few attachments and flex hose...works well....I'm sure snap on, mac, matco, etc. make them at a higher cost and are professional grade..the HB ones will do fine for the "weekend" hobbiest...I've read of some recommending a push in type tester, but don't see how they can hold it place and pull the starter rope at the same time

dazk14

Ensign

Since your not using it in a commercial environment, the Chinese imports are probably fine.

However, the base of the flexible hose MUST have a built in schrader valve to yield consistent and reasonably accurate results.

R&DMACHINIST

Seaman

Thanks guys I was talking to my dad,(who by the way is a retired mechanic) and he is passing on his SnapOn set to me!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

No need to test those old OMCs, they are junk, I will gladly dispose of them for you, free of charge :)

R&DMACHINIST

Seaman

Lol good one HighTrim,I believe Ill either put them in the corner of the outboard theme room in my man cave or use them as cover for a new Crappie hole before Ill. Let them be melted down and turned into soda or beer cans!