Will this boat pull us to wakeboard

cantdecide

Recruit
Hi
At the weekend we are going to look at a Maxum 1800 SR3 with a 140 HP 3ltr Mercruiser engine,
Will this boat be powerful enough to pull us to wakeboard? we have only just learned to do it and are upgrading our boat?

many thanks Claire :)

Re: Will this boat pull us to wakeboard

Yes, of course. I have a three liter too on my Tahoe q4 and it works great. If you are having any problems, you can also get a lower pitched prop which will make a tremendous difference. We just upgraded prop for better one skiing and it makes an amazing difference. Have fun and congrats on the new boat!!!

*mtrbtr*

Cadet

You will be just fine. The "larger engine" people happen to have larger engines. They are nice but it doesnt take much to pull a wakeboarder out of the water. As mentioned previously if you feel under powered get a different prop. I had a 2.3 liter with only 128 HP and a lower pitched prop helped a lot. We slalomed and wakeboarded with no problems even with 4-5 people in the boat. You have plenty of power. Fifteen years ago your engine would have been considered more than adequate. Nowadays all these new boats have tons of power and anything less than a 6 cylinder is considered "inadequate". You will be fine have fun!

*mtrbtr*

Cadet

I should have said in my previous post that if you are still buying (also as mentioned) a 6 cylinder is nicer but if you really like this one get it. If the seller is really serious about they should let you try wakeboarding behind it. Dont buy ANY boat without an "on the water" test.

Marktwain68

Cadet

I have a 120hp mercruiser and it is plenty fast to wakeboard. Any faster and your wakeboarder would be thrown off....lol a friend of mine wakeboards with his bass boat. It don't take much.

jwells36

Cadet

I have a 190hp mercruiser and it is just enough engine to pull big guys up on a board. I am 6'1" 230lbs and my wife has to floor it to pop me up. Once I am up it is no problem staying at a good riding speed. Now I should mention that i am currently using a stock aluminum prop which i do plan on changing but i would guess that with the 3.0 pulling bigger boarders up could be an issue.
jw

cantdecide

Recruit

thanks guys for your replys, we are looking at the boat in the morning, so will let you know how we go, i guess as its a big purchase for us we want to make sure it is right, as we wont be able to change it for a good few years
Fingers crossed as she looks great in the pics
Claire x

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer

Powerfull enough? Hell Ya! I pull (2) 150lb. kids on a 2 person towable with just an 85 hp outboard. I'll be trying the wake board today as a matter of fact, my son just got back from a month long vacation in Cal. with his uncle & he wants to try out the new wake board I got him for X-mas. He & 1 or 2 of his buddies are coming to the lake with me today to give it a go. I just hope I can do the pull up out of the water. I have a pretty good hole shot with this motor & boat so we'll see. I wish I could upgrade to what your looking at, that would be great, next year maybe. You should be just fine with that set up.

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have the same engine and we have been using a friends OB powered fishing boat all along for wakeboarding as it has more HP and seems more responsive. He is heavier *(200+) so I assumed my boat wouldnt be inadaquite all along. Well, we took the stingray out yesterday instead and everyone loved it! The wake was good, power good and steady, able to hold 18-20 no problem!