Sent my 2001 merc 50hp to the shop

Kaozboy

Recruit
Got out of army not too long ago and bought a 2001 bass buggy pontoon for the family to enjoy together. Im new to boats, so i have been reading every thing i can get my hands on about this motor. Guy i bought it from said it was hardley used and has been sittin a boat slip for over a yr. I took it out and it ran ok, missin a lil bit. So this is what i did. Emptied fuel tank and put new gas in with seafoam. Changed fuel lines and prime bulb. Changed oil in top and lower unit. Changed spark plugs. Took it back out and now it bogs down when full throttle and when bringin throttle down halfway, it kicks like it wants to get it, but it doesnt. After spendin about 150 dollars, i decided to take it to a shop for a full look over. Im sure its the 3 carbs and clogged jets, but not sure. Hope he calls and says its not that bad. Also i notice a smell of gas when i take cowling off. Maybe theres a leak in fuel line and sucking in air. Any suggestions are welcomed!

All gave some... Some gave all!!!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Sent my 2001 merc 50hp to the shop

Fuel smell is probably leaking seats on the carb float valve. Your problems are probably all fuel related. If you had time to let the Sea Foam work for you it may have solved all your problems, but if you had a lot of varnish/old fuel deposits it would be better the way you went. I use it in every tank I run and my engine is a 2002 90 hp and has never been in the shop.

HTH,

Mark

Kaozboy

Recruit
Re: Sent my 2001 merc 50hp to the shop

Thanks for the remarks. I hope its just fuel related. We ll see what the shop says