Bow seat rebuild

strange82

Cadet
Here are the photos of my latest project.
I rebuilt the entire bow area, including the console boards, and the support for the upper bow section. I think it came out looking nice.
I plan to do the rest of the interior next year.

IMG_1086.jpg

IMG_1087.jpg

IMG_1088.jpg

GLG fishing

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Bow seat rebuild

Looks great, nice work.
Whats the scoop thing on your boat?

concept10

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Very, very nice and well executed. I've been wanting to do the same with my bow area, but it's too hot down here in Texas (109 deg. F today). Could you share some more details?

Did you cover the original aluminum sides (the bottom pieces with the cutouts) or did you make new ones from wood?

1/2" or 3/4"?

How did you attach to the support rail around the hull? Rivets, screws?

Thanks man.

strange82

Cadet

I built the whole set up out of 3/4 plywood. Then covered it with indoor/outdoor carpet (glue it down in the field, then staple it in all the hidden ares for best results)
I made the tops removable to get to the storage space. I always thought the cut outs in the original were way to small to be useful.
I hope you have the original parts to use as a pattern, I did and it saved me sooooo much time, I just duplicated what was there before.
The small support piece (the part above the seat that gives the top deck it's strength) was rotted on my boat so I had to replace that. It was not real easy to do, I had to remove the rub-rail, drill out a bunch of rivets to get the top deck section off, but in the end it was necessary, and worth the effort.

Looks great, nice work.
Whats the scoop thing on your boat?
It's my horn. Kinda funky looking, isn't it?

strange82

Cadet

Oh, Concept10.
As you can probably see, all the visable screws are, stainless with backers, so they don't cut the upholstery.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Very nice work. I'm going to have to redo mine as I built it out of 1/2" and it's not strong enough.

strange82

Cadet

I thought about using 1/2 for a little while because of weight concerns, but decided the added strength was more benifitial in the end.

Stephenatx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Very nice job. Did you do the white cushioning along the sides? Mine has been replaced with bumpers cut in half.U