Almost ready to give up

Mr. Kevin

Recruit
I've got a 1990 Tracker with a 150 horse Johnson that I bought from my girlfriend's dad. It ALWAYS ran great for him and even started right up when he sold it to me and it had sat for about a year and a half. Once we got it on the water it was an entirely different story. It ran with no power at all the first time out like there is just nothing as far as RPM's. We have had multiple people look at it and give us different ideas as to what to do. We've done preventative maintenance such as a new empellar, plugs and fuel filter. We have also done larger things such as a new CDI box(power pack depending on what you want to call it) and added a new coil pack because the number 4 cylander wasn't getting a spark. After all this we had it on the water today again and it idled nicely and started nicely only to basically fall on its face again when we tried to punch it and go. Almost like it's starving for gas but not really sure where to start. My dad, brother and myself are going nuts because we thought we had a big year of fishing ahead of us and my girlfriend's dad feels terrible because it won't run for us. Any ideas from ANYONE!? It's a beautiful boat and great to fish out of. We just need the motor to run!

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Almost ready to give up

If you have good spark and compression move on to the fuel delivery system. Were the carbs drained or did it set with fuel in them? Use a squirt bottle of fuel mixture and squirt into the carbs and see it will pick up and run. It might be time to overhaul the carbs.

nwcove

Admiral

i agree with daviet, sounds like you went through the spark end of things, spend 30 bucks on a compression tester, and post back those numbers. could be stuck rings, but more likely the carbs are a bit gummed up. (seafoam or similiar products added to the fuel can and do help with cleaning carbs and getting rid of carbon)

Mr. Kevin

Recruit

WE've run compression tests and everything is pretty consistent for a 20 year old motor. Below are the results of each test.

1-90
2-85
3-90
4-85
5-80
6-83

My dad has done most of the work with the motor so I will pass the info along to him. THanks for the input!

nwcove

Admiral

what do the plugs look like after running? comp numbers look "ok". truely looks like a carb/ fuel delivery issue. check every line for cracks or any sign of deterioration, if it is sucking air from any lines it will cause issues.