Steering is too hard!

jigsaw27

Recruit
I just purchased an 03' Bayliner 185 and it is extremely difficult to turn left and even more difficult to turn right. I do not think it should be that difficult to turn the boat. I've noticed that the bottom fin of the motor is bent a little to the right and that may be the reason for it being even more difficult to turn it to the right but the dealer told me that it is just the type of boat that makes it difficult. I have read something about greasing the lines but I am unsure what that means and if that will even help me out at all. Any suggestions?

Re: Steering is too hard!

is is it a i/o? if it is and it has a teliflex steering that's your problem and you have to live with it. my neibhor has a bayliner 24' boat and it's hard to steer but that's just how it is

RogersJetboat454

Commander

is is it a i/o? if it is and it has a teliflex steering that's your problem and you have to live with it. my neibhor has a bayliner 24' boat and it's hard to steer but that's just how it is

Really? I can steer my 35 year old Teleflex steering with one finger :rolleyes:.

Jigsaw, What do you have for power, I/O or outboard? This may just be as simple as greasing up the pivot's on the drive/outboard, or an adjustment on the pre-tension of the steering wheel.

Sounds like your skeg may be a little bent. Post a picture of it so we can see what you have.

ok i am just saying what i was told. he has an i/o and he's greased it and it's har to turn

Andy'sDelight

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is it difficult to steer under power only, or all the time?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

If it is difficult to steer even at rest, with engine off obviously, disconnect engine from cable. Move engine/outdrive back and forth and move cable back and forth.
which is stiff? If engine, on OB grease pivot shaft, if inboard don't remember....it may have zerks on pivot shaft too.

If the cable, may need to get a new one. Teleflex is still in business and are great to work with.
They tell you where to find the part number for your existing cable.

Mark

jigsaw27

Recruit

It is an I/O motor and it tough to steer pretty much the whole time. When I have it full throttle it's not too bad. I have not done anything to try and fix it yet. I will post a picture of the bottom of fin of the motor later today.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You are NOT qualified to give out advice. Please refrain from doing so in the future. I swear if I hear one more time about stuff "your neighbor" did, I'm gonna.......

jigsaw27

Recruit

I moved the engine around and it is tough to even push it when it is outside of the water and I am not weak by any means. If I were to grease the lines would that do that trick and how would I do that? I also notice that the steering grease was low, could that be the issue for the difficult steering? I have also attached a photo of the back of the boat to show the bent part of the motor.

Attachments

• IMAG0177.jpg
    IMAG0177.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member

I moved the engine around and it is tough to even push it when it is outside of the water and I am not weak by any means. If I were to grease the lines would that do that trick and how would I do that? I also notice that the steering grease was low, could that be the issue for the difficult steering? I have also attached a photo of the back of the boat to show the bent part of the motor.

Ayuh,... Remove the cable from the aluminum tube at the transom, 'n clean the corrosion outa it, 'n Grease it up good...

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Ayuh,... Remove the cable from the aluminum tube at the transom, 'n clean the corrosion outa it, 'n Grease it up good...

And after you do that check the tension on the power stearing belt and make sure the pumps reservoir has enough fluid.

By the way you did'nt hit something so hard you could have bent the swivel shaft, did ya????

jigsaw27

Recruit

I just bought it a week ago and I have not hit anything, it could be bent but I have no idea. The way it looks is the way I bought it.

americaneagler77

Petty Officer 1st Class

that mild bend in the skeg would not make it HARD to steer by any means.......