Tilt switch

TMALEGA

Petty Officer 1st Class
OK SO I HAVE THE 1985 85 FORCE OUTBOARD WITH A 3 WIRE TILT MOTOR ON IT. MY QUESTION IS THIS. I FOUND A SWITCH AT BASS PRO LAST NIGHT THAT IS RATED FOR 50AMPS AND ACCORDING TO THE GUY IN THE REPAIR AREA IT SHOULD WORK JUST FIND ON MY SETUP. MY ONLY CONCERN IS THE WIRING GOING INTO THIS NEW SWITCH IS ABOUT HALF THE DIAMETER OF THE WIRING ON THE OLD SYSTEM. I CAN SPLICE THEM IN NO PROBLEM AND IT IS ONLY ABOUT A FOOT FROM THE MOTOR. DO YOU GUYS THINK THAT IT WILL BE OK? LIKE I SAID ACCORDING TO THE BOX IT IS RATED AT 50AMPS, AND FROM WHAT I HAVE READ IT IS A 20 AMP CIRCUIT. ALSO I DO UNDERSTAND THAT THE WIRES ARE AS THICK AS THEY ARE TO HELP THE CURRENT BE ABLE TO REACH THE SWITCH IN THE DASH TO THE MOTOR WITH MINIMAL CURRENT DROP. THIS IS THE SWITCH I FOUND I FOUND IT AT BASS PRO BUT CAN ONLY FIND IT ONLINE AT ACADEMYS WEBSITE.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_20051_-1?Ntt=TRANSOM&Ntk=All

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Tilt switch

The trim motor should be wired to relays, which are then wired to the switch. You should be FINE, er, fine if your trim system is wired this way.:redface:

TMALEGA

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well considering my system is the old 3 wire system that doesnt have relays in it. That is why i am questioning this new switch. I would have just reused the old 20 amp switch that flush mounts to the side of the splash well, however there is about 3 inches of plywood in the new boat and the old boat only at best had a half inch, so i am not sure if that old switch will fit in and stay in the spot i would have to cut out. That was why i got this other switch it is held on by 2 screws and sits on top of the side of the splash well.

NYBo

Admiral

No relays under the outboard's cowl, eh? The switch may be rated for 50 amps, but the wiring looks way too thin for that kind of juice. Strange that they would do that.

You could hook up relays, but that would make things way more complicated. You are talking a relatively short run of the new wiring (just long enough to reach the old wires), so it may be fine. I would suggest posing this question in the Force & Chrysler outboard section. One of the guys who answers a lot of questions there is an absolute encyclopedia when it comes to the trim systems on these motors, and would likely know how many amps they need.