Evinrude 50HP 4-stroke limited to 3000 RPM

spaynter

Cadet
Please bear with me, I am a bit of a newbie to boating but have already spent hours searching, including some hints found here. This may be a bit long-winded.

The Problem:
We are using/maintaining a friend's cottage who are out of the country, that comes with a pontoon boat with an Evinrude 50hp 4-stroke, which I believe to be about 1999-2001 vintage. There doesn't seem to be a lot of information on this engine. Ever since it hit the water in early July, the top end isn't there, and it will not rev over ~3000RPM. It runs smooth enough, starts, idles etc and spark plugs aren't fouled, new gas, cooling is working, and no engine lights or alarms.

I have found a few posts that refer to the neutral safety switch and from what I can gather, it does two things, one killing the ignition when out of neutral (which works OK) but also it signals that it is in neutral which and the ECM then limits the revs. If it comes "out of adjustment" the boat will start and run but is still rev-limited as if it is in neutral.

Unfortunately it is a serious undertaking to get it out of the water and to a shop to get checked out so I want to do as much as possible before heading down that path.

Questions:

1) Is this the way this particular safety switch works?

2) Where do you check or make adjustments - pictures would be best because the throttle linkage is buried behind the intake manifold and not easy to get at.

3) Can you reset the ECM by disconnecting the battery for a period of time

4) Anything else, specifics are good. I don't necessarily want to spend the $$ on a repair manual (yet) I really have to, and a trip to the dealer is largely out of the question (no tow vehicle).

Many thanks...Stu

spaynter

Cadet
Re: Evinrude 50HP 4-stroke limited to 3000 RPM

anyone? Beuller, Beuller...

So, neither Evinrude dealer in town is familiar with SLOW mode, or the neutral switch and could only rhyme off the standard answers of spark plug, coil pack, fuel etc etc. Maybe they were just being guarded with their answers to get me to bring it in, but I don't think so. Fortunately one of the two was willing to part with their own shop manual and it looks like the symptoms exactly match the Neutral "stuck ON" condition (rev limited to 3k RPM, SLOW, no codes). With the manual I should be able to at least check if this is the condition.

Doesn't say much for the dealers if I can Google and shop manual my way through it without shop charges and $100 coil packs....

hidef

Lieutenant
Re: Evinrude 50HP 4-stroke limited to 3000 RPM

You might also check with the Suzuki guys.