Chrysler 360 Plug Gap

dev2424

Recruit
I ran the RPM's up on my LM360 and bent an intake push rod. After replacing
the rod, and checking the timing, I tried to fire it up. No go. I checked the other bank
for valve train operation and then checked the plugs. I found #6 #3 #5 plug gaps to
be closed tight to the electrode and angled closed. Regapped and started the engine.
Idled perfect for about 4 seconds then heard "tink...tink the motor stalled out.
Any thoughts? Mechanical...carbon balls??

Tahorover

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Chrysler 360 Plug Gap

How is your oil pressure? How many hours on the timing set?

dev2424

Recruit

Oil pressure is excellent (60 psi warm) New short block 10 tears ago 300 hrs. on motor
1/8 in play on timing chain within tolerance. TDC #1- rotor right on #1 plug wire

Tahorover

Chief Petty Officer

Pull all 8 plugs and crank her over. You may find bits of piston.

Gettinther

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I ran the RPM's up on my LM360 and bent an intake push rod. After replacing
the rod, and checking the timing, I tried to fire it up. No go. I checked the other bank
for valve train operation and then checked the plugs. I found #6 #3 #5 plug gaps to
be closed tight to the electrode and angled closed. Regapped and started the engine.
Idled perfect for about 4 seconds then heard "tink...tink the motor stalled out.
Any thoughts? Mechanical...carbon balls??

If you bend a push rod the valve is likely colliding with some foreign matter or piston or any combination thereof, but I have seen valves seizing in the valve guide and cause the same type of problem.

You should remove all the plugs check for debri in the cylinders.
Do compression check. (warm engine if possible)

dev2424

Recruit

After pulling the plugs and winding it over ,I found no debris.however #4 plug was closed up while #6,3,5 were normal after cranking without starting. I,m hearing water in the fuel acts as a pump ( a possibility) next up compression check THANX FOR YOUR INPUT GUYS
Pull all 8 plugs and crank her over. You may find bits of piston.

Gettinther

Petty Officer 2nd Class

After pulling the plugs and winding it over ,I found no debris.however #4 plug was closed up while #6,3,5 were normal after cranking without starting. I,m hearing water in the fuel acts as a pump ( a possibility) next up compression check THANX FOR YOUR INPUT GUYS

If the plugs are getting hammered shut something is hitting them
Who dropped the washer in there

And pieces of metal will jump from cylinder to cylinder
Never seen water close a spark plug until a piston broke

dev2424

Recruit

Update: Fuel ok no water. Started it up, Idled fine for 8 secs, then it started, missing sputtered out. No plugs closed up
but after hearing a clink on the right bank just before it died, #3 cylider has oil in it.

Gettinther

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Update: Fuel ok no water. Started it up, Idled fine for 8 secs, then it started, missing sputtered out. No plugs closed up
but after hearing a clink on the right bank just before it died, #3 cylider has oil in it.
I'd be pulling the heads