Merc 200 thunderbolt newb questions

alphamike1

Recruit
hi guys, Im totaly new to all this boating malarkey and was recently given a small 4 seater speedboat +trailer, acssesories, and merc outboard. Needless to say there are no manuals with it and before i go ahead and purchase one (of which one im not sure) i was wondering if i could get some help with a few questions i have.

mercury marine 200 thunderbolt 20hp (1973) i think serial: 9016491

Please forgive my lack of seafaring knowledge and terminology!:confused:

Ok firstly i have also a merControl box, can i attach this to the outboard and be able to control the boat from the "drivers seat" rahter than use the controll arm(not sure what thats called). Also the control box has a key/ignition capability, if i dont connect that part to anything, would this still work with the type of manual starting engine i have?

secondly...and this is a "probably not". Can i convert my outboard to an electrically starting outboard? this is something ide like...but its not essential

Im sure these are pretty basic questions (dont shoot the newb) :facepalm: as ive read a few post on here and am baffled by some of the terms and no doubt ill be asking similar ones as i learn!

many thanks in advance

BatDaddy1887

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Merc 200 thunderbolt newb questions

...it sounds like you currently have a tiller outboard (what you call a control arm), and there are conversion kits to turn a tiller type setup to a steering wheel type. We actually need photos in this case to further help you here. Does the boat already have a steering wheel installed? Have you had the motor running yet? Is it a pull-start? I understand you want to use the controls remotely, but you would need steering in that case as well....

The more you search this site for your specific concerns, the more you will learn along the way including terminology. Enjoy your new boat!

alphamike1

Recruit

Thanks for the reply BigDaddy, ive taken some pics of my outboard (below). Yes it is a pull start and has a tiller (thanks for that). The boat does have a cable steering system installed and im going to renew the wheels and cables as they look a bit fatigued. As you can see from the boat im in the middle of restoring it anyway. ive also posted a pic of the mercontrol box i have. Im sure its a later model then my outboard and is probably for an auto start model engine. I think if im correct the box will still work regardless of wether i put power through it? i have had the engine running and seems to purr like a kitten...well a loud one! :p

Attachments

• dscn3249e.jpg
    dscn3249e.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 0
  • dscn3250m.jpg
    dscn3250m.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 0
  • dscn3251s.jpg
    dscn3251s.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 0
  • dscn3254g.jpg
    dscn3254g.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 0
  • dscn3253yh.jpg
    dscn3253yh.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 0

BatDaddy1887

Chief Petty Officer

Those are great engines that will last a long time if you take proper care of it, make sure you get a manual for that and follow the maintenance schedule as prescribed. That boat is really cool looking and the merc on that will make it stand out even more! You may need a kit to attach your control box to the boat:

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/11837.cfm

You will be interested in:

Remote Control Attaching Kit
Remote Control-4000 Side Mount(Non Power Trim)

You will also need the steering conversion kit found somewhere on this site:

http://www.mercurypartsexpress.com/ca/parts-search.html#mr1015

You will need your engine's serial number to find the correct parts. Don't forget to show us photos of the finished product!

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

I have two of these engines, a 75 and a 76 or 77.

Great running engines, look into replacing the impeller just to be safe, when I got mine I was told it was brand new... it was not. :p
I would start with new oil in the lower unit if you have not already.

ebay has some factory manuals available, mine has been awesome, and it covers remote hookups.

I also have a bunch of parts for the 200's and if my new 650 works out, I will be clearing it out...

I also have everything needed to convert to electric start, as long as your engine has the bolt holes to mount the starter motor, and a flywheel with teeth on it.

I have a spare starter motor and a solenoid

I also have the steering arm for remote steering if you need it, and the spare one came off of a 72

BatDaddy1887

Chief Petty Officer

Alphamike, if you are a guy who likes working on projects like this, then more power to you! However, a 20hp engine with 4 people will barely push the boat along....you can't call it a speedboat anymore...:D. My advise to you is to sell that wonderful engine and use the profits towards another used engine....say, a 40hp or more. A 40hp engine that is already equipped with steering controls, remote start, etc. would push your speedboat along quite nicely and get you all to your destination much quicker. Your local craigslist or ebay may be a good start. Another alternative for your engine is an aluminum Jon boat. Whatever you decide to do, we wish you luck and an enjoyable boating experience!

GOUDA099

Recruit

ok have two of these motors, and am trying to do the same thing. I live near lake Marburg and they only allow a 20 here. I have the same desire to hook up what I have and am interested in any info. good to see all this stuff here! it's late, ill be back when I can focus. I am willing to help and learn as much as I can. Im on my first boat also. great thread! don"t sell that box before you talk to me! lol!

GOUDA099

Recruit

Gibbles Im definetly interested in hooking up. I have the same motor and am interested. don't know what im doing and am looking for parts!

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

I'll get a scan of information for the hookups for you later.

But for now...

look where the tiller handle connects, that part that connects to the base under it should be two screw holes to attach the steering bracket.

Look carefully, it will not be to much further down from where the tiller piviot point is, and there shoud only be two threaded holes.

Make sure they are there, and nothing broken off inside.

The rest of the parts are a bit more limited, I ended up getting a set from a control box I picked up on ebay, but I may have a spare set... I just need to go through my crap :D

What I have available, for these engines...

-One control box (not sure if I need it yet, it depends on what I do with my 20's)

-starter motor @ solenoid
(if you want to mess with it I will help you make sure it will work with your engine.)

-Steering arm w/bolts

-various bolts and linkages

-complete (1976?) powerhead electric start model.

-carburetor with upgraded fuel inlet (metal)

-factory prop

I spent some time collecting parts to keep me going... ;)
But with the new engine I need to reinvest... :facepalm:

I'll get a picture of the mounting area for the electric start motor for you, and hopefully you still have the cable attachment pieces for the remote hookups.

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

Finally got the manual scanned for you

Mercury200_Control.jpg

Mercury200Control.jpg