Boat wandering at slow speeds, videos attached

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomB985

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey everyone,

Just bought a new 2011 Larson LX 850 18' bowrider about a month ago. I grew up with boats, but they had outboard engines and this is my first experience with a Merc sterndrive. One of the first things I noticed is that this thing does NOT want to go in a straight line when going slow. I have no idea why, but I finally took some videos of this tonight.

Makes it very difficult to stay in a channel...what can be causing this? Steering seems very tight to me. I'll post the videos I took tomorrow morning...

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Boat wandering at slow speeds

That bow wander is common enough with stern drives. Mine had it bad last year. This year I added Smart Tabs and the wander is gone.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Could it be the wind pushing your boat around?

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Hey Tom - welcome to iboats and welcome to I/O ownership. Low speed wander is a hallmark of stern drives and as far as I can tell, there's no way to change the trait except maybe the trim tabs jay mentions above.

Over time you just get used to it and eventually learn to stop chasing the helm all over the channel and realize that she will wander left and right a bit but mostly will hold a generally straight course. At least that's been pretty much my experience of the half dozen or so Mercruisers I've driven over the last 30 odd years.

superbenk

Commander

I'll vote for Smart Tabs too. Nearly fixed that problem in my boat entirely & it handles generally better now too. Can't go wrong with them for $100 IMO.

kahuna123

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Smart tabs ad nothing but more drag. Makes you push a little harder and gives the boat a quicker response which you are more used to . Learn how to NOT over compensate steering. Try to drive a 35ft a no wake and you will understand. My 10 year old learned how to keep a 33 Luhrs in a straight line at idle. It just takes a little getting used to.

mlpaskett

Seaman

Smart tabs ad nothing but more drag. Makes you push a little harder and gives the boat a quicker response which you are more used to . Learn how to NOT over compensate steering. Try to drive a 35ft a no wake and you will understand. My 10 year old learned how to keep a 33 Luhrs in a straight line at idle. It just takes a little getting used to.

Agreed...be patient with the steering. Make minor adjustments and wait for the effect. Most common problem is oversteering...then oversteering to correct

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Even my twin inboard powered boat will wander a little. Short of it being dangerous, I think its acceptable.

nlain

Commander

As a user of Smart Tabs I have to disagree with the first part of your statement that "Smart Tabs add nothing but more drag". They will correct the low speed wander, get you on plane faster with very little bow rise, keep you on plane at slower speeds, they do increase cruise speed and can increase wot speed a little, makes the boat handle rough water much better, you will also use less gas with Smart Tabs. They are easy to install and with a few test runs and adjustments you never have to touch them again.

I do agree with learning to not overcompensate steering to correct the wander, smaller steering adjustments or none at all is the way to go. It will still wander a little but not as bad as it does when you try an correct it.

superbenk

Commander

It's always fun to see the purists come out when Smart Tabs are mentioned... seems to be 2 camps - either love them or hate them.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

It's always fun to see the purists come out when Smart Tabs are mentioned... seems to be 2 camps - either love them or hate them.

They work very well on smaller boats.
I've never seen a thread about taking smart tabs off because they didn't help...

TomB985

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'm going to have to check out these Smart Tabs...

Here are some videos I took yesterday, in HD if you have the bandwidth:

So this is normal?

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Agreed...be patient with the steering. Make minor adjustments and wait for the effect. Most common problem is oversteering...then oversteering to correct

mlpaskett hit the nail on the head

scooper77515

Most common problem is oversteering...then oversteering to correct

With mine, it is...I have had to learn to not over steer it. and just get it close to where I want it to go, then leave it alone. It will eventually go where I want it to.

Just steer about halfway to where you want it, and give it a second or two. It will catch up with you.

blifsey

Have you tried adjusting trim while idling along? Sometimes you can find a sweet spot that helps with the wander.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Have you tried adjusting trim while idling along? Sometimes you can find a sweet spot that helps with the wander.

That is the right answer. Depending on how it is propped, hull design, weight distribution and trim........ all variables.

You will get used to the wander and then never think of it again.

BTMCB

That is the right answer. Depending on how it is propped, hull design, weight distribution and trim........ all variables.

You will get used to the wander and then never think of it again.

+1 - once you are used to it and don't over-correct, it will become second nature..

Good luck......and congrats on the new boat!

mancho

Petty Officer 2nd Class

UMMM... i watched both videos and i don't think you moved the wheel in version two behind the dash... did you???

the boat seems to go in curvey with the wheel straight??? maybe i was confused.

Bluepike

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Boat wandering at slow speeds, videos attached

If you have trim tabs, you can try putting them in the "Bow Down" position or do as an old salt I know does where he puts one tab down and steers against the drag it causes.

Not oversteering is hard to get used to but as stated before, it will become second nature and you get used to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.