Battery installed wrong

johnson7o

Cadet
We were fixing all electrical problems and killed the battery. We put a charged battery in backwards ( I know what a bumb as$ ) now we hooked up the battery right and it won't turn over. What could be the problem. Is there an inline fuse or something else. I have a 97 Gurman with a Johnson 70 hp motor.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: Battery installed wrong

We were fixing all electrical problems and killed the battery. We put a charged battery in backwards ( I know what a bumb as$ ) now we hooked up the battery right and it won't turn over. What could be the problem. Is there an inline fuse or something else. I have a 97 Gurman with a Johnson 70 hp motor.

Blown fuse. Maybe took out the rectifier also. Hopefully nothing else....

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I did the same thing on a 90 last year, it blew the fuse in the black rubber push together housing and fried the rectifier/regulator. Your rec wil not cost as much as the rec/reg, and the boat will run ok until you get the rec fixed, it just won't charge the battery.

No tilt/trim, cranking or anything from the motor with that fuse blown. It is a little short thing and I keep a spare taped to the housing now.

If you can't find the fuse post a pic of the motor with the cover off showing the solenoid side and we'll point it, and the rectifier out to you.

johnson7o

Cadet

The part is 585001 it also has 6D -WOA what does that mean. Can't find it on the web. Also has 4 wires

johnson7o

Cadet

Thank I'll post some pic so people con see where the parts are located.