Cover your tires

204 Escape

Ensign
OR, at least block the sun from hitting them !!! It's 110* here today. The excessive heat is sure hard on the tires !!! (Just my $0.02 worth) !!

guy74

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Cover your tires

I know, the spare mounted in the back of my F350 blew up a few minutes ago! We have 114 down here.

204 Escape

Ensign

Hey, guy74. We aren't too far apart !!!!!! ;-) I live in Humboldt !!!!! Haven't made it to Farlington this year.

guy74

Hey, guy74. We aren't too far apart !!!!!! ;-) I live in Humboldt !!!!! Haven't made it to Farlington this year.

We finally got back to boating quite a bit this year. Hope to see you there sometime!

BatDaddy1887

Chief Petty Officer

...if you leave your boat in the water all summer then another alternative is to store your trailer tires in the garage or basement while the trailer sits on jack-stands. The same thing for the winter.

bigdee

Commander

Ah,come on guys,boating is supposed to be fun....not a hassle!!!!!! I have been boating and trailering for 40 years and not about to change now! Just replace tires every 5 years and life will be good.

badkins50

I always spray mine down with some tire shine (meguiars) then cover them with those tire covers take all of 5 minutes. Good luck with all that heat though and stay cool!

204 Escape

Ensign

It's been 100*+ for several days now ! I just got a BIG blister on a GoodforaYear Marathon, and had to replace it. Just a suggestion! ;)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You guys actually think a tire sitting in 100 degrees temperature is actually getting hotter than one rolling down the highway on even an 80 degree day along with the heat from your brakes dissipated through the wheel? Get an IR temperature gun and do some measurements.

Also, spraying anything on tires does nothing to make them last longer.

badkins50

^^^^^ Thats like saying waxing your car does absolutely nothing. You mean to tell me that if you take 2 of the same brand new name brand tires and throw them out in the sun at the same time - 1 has no protection - 1 has spray protection, they will end up dry rotting the same amount during the same time? I'm not trying to start an arguement here as I am not in the tire manufacturing business but thats absolutely nuts. You keep doing it your way and I'll keep doing it my way. I agree that with time it will wear off but I spray mine and cover right away after every outting. I know I will not trailer anything with dry rotted tires. Good luck.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

^^^^^ Thats like saying waxing your car does absolutely nothing. You mean to tell me that if you take 2 of the same brand new name brand tires and throw them out in the sun at the same time - 1 has no protection - 1 has spray protection, they will end up dry rotting the same amount during the same time?
If its so good for your tire, are you spraying the side that faces inside too? Since you are covering your tire anyway, both sides are out of the sun.

Spraying does nothing except making your tire shiny for a little while...in fact, could do more harm than good depending on the product. Snake oil for tires. If your tires are old enough to be cracked, they will be cracked on both sides of the tire, not just the outside. Putting something on the very surface of the tire wiil not help you in any way.

Don't get me wrong, I would never drive on dry rotted tires either but if you replace your tires every 5 years, you won't be anyway.

While you mention it, waxing your paint also does nothing...and that info is from a paint rep. Keeping the car clean of dirt is what makes paint last the longest.

cribber

Lieutenant

Sun, moisture, and heat will destroy everything eventually.

Gun Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Storing your trailer on the lawn or mud or other soft surfaces will do more harm than anything. Sun probally being the least of the problems. Covers will aid in keeping the elements off like snow, hail, acid rain. Tires setting in these elements are what breaks down the sidewalls resulting in blowouts. Blowouts being the biggest failure on towed trailers. My camper manufacture has gone as far as to recommend, in the manual, tire replacement every three years. A bit often I feel. Five years is what I use.

204 Escape

Ensign

Well, I made some runners out of 2X6's that the tires set on, to keep them up off of the ground. I don't know if that helps or not. I do remove the tires/wheels and spray my tires with tire spray as well.

guy74

You guys actually think a tire sitting in 100 degrees temperature is actually getting hotter than one rolling down the highway on even an 80 degree day along with the heat from your brakes dissipated through the wheel? Get an IR temperature gun and do some measurements.

Yeah I do when it is sitting exposed to the sun. Temps over to 200 degrees on a black object are possible in direct sunlight. Can't even touch the top of the spare mounted in the bed of the truck, but the ones that have been rolling down the road aren't much warmer than the air. That must be why all the ones on equipment always blow out on top.

badkins50

Spray - no spray. Wax - No wax. Whatever your preference is we agree to disagree. I do spray inside as well and the only time the inside of the tires will see any sun is when the boat is in the water this is why I only cover the outside while not traveling. Like I said before - in my opinion - to say tire protectant and wax provides nothing at all is just a crazy thing to say. In the end it's your choice. Good luck with the ones you've made.

Gun Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

2X's are OK but I find after time they deteriorate or the weeds get up around them. I have so many trailers I can't fit them in the driveway. I use them all somewhat frequently. What I do is use the large cinder blocks, I think they are like six x eight x twelve bury them half way leaving four inches exposed. I set them on 3/4 stone so they stay level. I build an interlocking square. Plenty wide and long to hit as I'm backing up onto them. Holds up well and you can weed whack around them without hitting the tires.

It's not necessary to remove the tires or take the weight of them in extended storage if on the appropriate surface if kept properly inflated. Replace at recommended time even if they look good to the eye.

Gun Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

^^^^^ Thats like saying waxing your car does absolutely nothing. You mean to tell me that if you take 2 of the same brand new name brand tires and throw them out in the sun at the same time - 1 has no protection - 1 has spray protection, they will end up dry rotting the same amount during the same time?

Having been in the tire industry for many years I had the opportunity to visit many plants and attend many product seminars for all categories of tires. Warm soapy water is all any manufacture would recommend. There is no standard for what goes into the spray products, and many contain petroleum products. Although the tire manufactures recognize this in addition to the fact that car washes use tire conditioners, they use composites in the rubber that will somewhat stand up to the use or over use of conditioners. Certain sprays that are over applied or applied in extreme temps. do effect the composition of the rubber. Never use conditioners on the inside of the tires. Tires are woven with many layers of composite materials. These layers will break down causing failure.

I would feel very uncomfortable rolling along side someone with a 12000 lb rig that I knew they were using spray conditioner inside of their tires.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Like I said before - in my opinion - to say tire protectant and wax provides nothing at all is just a crazy thing to say.
Curious...how long do you keep your tires that you are worried about sidewall cracking/rotting? My tires are in the California heat and sun and I have never had a hint of cracking when I replace my tires at the recommended 5 year interval.

Some people also spray the cr*p on their outdrive bellows thinking its going to help too which is also a bunch of nonsense.

guy74

I use Armor All on the outsides of all my truck and trailer tires, also on the airbags. It seems to preserve the rubber quite well. When you are talking about a couple hundred tires you can't go replacing them every 5 years.