johnson tracker 9.9 upgrade

Seantracker

Cadet
Just wondering if I put the 15 carb on my 9.9 will it make much difference. I already realize the motor is small for my 17' tracker, just looking for a little more speed.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: johnson tracker 9.9 upgrade

Just wondering if I put the 15 carb on my 9.9 will it make much difference. I already realize the motor is small for my 17' tracker, just looking for a little more speed.

Will not do anything that you will notice at all.

Sell the motor and get a larger one.

Whoopbass

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah it will make a difference despite what some others say even though they have never attempted it.
Expect a few more mph's on the top end and a lot quicker response on the throttle.

nwcove

Admiral

the probable difference you will notice the most.....is a lighter wallet due to extra fuel consumption. but i would love to see actual gps #'s , before and after!

Will Bark

Lieutenant

Friend down in S MS did just that and got a tremendous difference out of it; this was on a 14" flatboat so I don't know about a 17". The 9.9 is nothing more than a 15 chocked down by a smaller carb> Good Luck.

Whoopbass

Chief Petty Officer

the probable difference you will notice the most.....is a lighter wallet due to extra fuel consumption. but i would love to see actual gps #'s , before and after!

I posted actual GPS #'s a couple years back but the biggest difference is the low end power and pick up speed. Top end is maybe 3 mph tops. I posted my results and got slammed by the few veterans on here that are adament that a carb change does no good. It's not even worth arguing with them about it anymore.

N1NE1

Petty Officer 1st Class

i dont think you will get much of a difference with just the carb, when changing over 9.9 to 15 you also need to change out the exhaust port on bottom of the powerhead along with carb, i never tried with just the carb