finding the correct engine # for my 59 Johnson Super Seahorse

Runabout59

Cadet
Hope someone can tell me where to find the # for or the correct model of my engine on my boat. I have looked and the only # my wife has found is on a silver type button on the top of the engine that has a seahorse carved in it. Is this the engine #. I don't know if my model is a RD. RDL21 or what it is. How can I find that out. I am needing to get the correct Repair Manual for this engine. I did find a parts catalog online and printed it off, but just not sure if it is the right one. It has RD-RDL 21/21B on it. Just want to make sure before I start ordering parts that I get the right manual.... Thanks guys for any help with this

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: finding the correct engine # for my 59 Johnson Super Seahorse

If you're talking about the serial number, yes that is the serial number on the silver plug. It will also be on the plate, on the front, between the transome clamps too. Turn the motor all the way to the left or right and the ID plate will appear. You may have to clean it off, to see the numbers. Most are covered with grease and oil on these. :D

RD and RDL models are typically manual start models with tiller handles. RDS and RDSL models are typically electric start models and set up for remote controls. Upgraded models will also have generators as well. The "L" signifies a long shaft model. I happen to have an RDSL-21B with all the electronics myself. Pretty good old motors and if tuned right, will last forever.

It looks like you got the right parts manual also. You can also look here for a good parts break down.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/v...ntage-evinrude-johnson/377809/37780900001.htm

Runabout59

Cadet

Thank you for all your information. WE are excited about this boat. It is in really good shape to be as old as it is. It was garage kept for a long time and not run much. I plan on getting things back in shape so we can take it out and have fun with it. Thanks again

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Sweet. You're going to want to replace the impeller in that and check over the ignition system real good. The carb should be in decent shape, from sitting in the garage most of it's life.

Yea, mine has sat for many years and is low hours too, but unfortunately, it's all outdoor, under the trees kind of sitting and it looks awful. The compression is 120 psi per hole and it's perfect, mechanically, but I'm going to strip it all down and repaint it. Make it look new again. :D