my new 77 sleekcraft executive 23ft project

corbin5754

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just bought this 77 sleekcraft executive 23 ft 460 motor jet drive didnt run when i got it had to rebuild carb and new fuel filters they were clogged runs really strong now. Interier needs a lot of work i need to reupholster all seats, carpet, build 2 bench seats in cabin looking forward to starting this mission....

sleek3-1.jpg

sleek8.jpg

sleek11.jpg

sleek6-1.jpg

sleek5.jpg

sleek1-1.jpg

corbin5754

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: my new 77 sleekcraft executive 23ft project

sleek9.jpg

paid $2700

Last Mohican

Chief Petty Officer

Very cool. Nice to see another big jet on the board. I have a 76 25' SleekCraft Ambassador with a jet.

corbin5754

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This is my firstjet drive boat. I've never drove or riddin in one b4 how fast do you think this boat will go, are they easy to drive. I bet there a lot of fun. Its water ready I just need to get it registered first I paid 2700 for it great deal. It has a berkley 12 je pump on it stainless impeller edelbrock intake and carb. My mechanic said they did something to bottom so water flows better into pump area I thinkthe 460 motor is from the mid 60s.

Last Mohican

Chief Petty Officer

I have not GPS'd mine. These are heavy boats. It's hard to say what kind of MPH you will see. The I/O boats will typically be a little faster given the same HP. The jet will accelerate better. IMO a jet is easy to drive. The big benefit is you can boat in about 12 inches of water and you can beach it without worrying about tearing up a bunch of hardware.

corbin5754

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Will it throw a rooster tail or do I have to buy something to make it do it.

Last Mohican

Chief Petty Officer

You will need a diverter to throw a rooster tail. Do a google search for "Place Diverter". You will find plenty of info on them. There are a couple of other manufacturers of diverters but Place is by far the leader. iboats is a great site but the jet information is limited here. You should dig around the jet forums over at performanceboats.com and jetboatperformance.com Lot of great help there for jets. Be sure to keep these guys updated as well. They love those big sleeks around here no mater what powers them.

corbin5754

Petty Officer 3rd Class

cleaned the engine up a little bit!!!

sleek5-1.jpg
IMG_20110806_193017.jpg

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

I noticed you have a automotive carb on there. Just wanted to let you know they are not coast guard approved. Edelbrock does make a nice marine carb that would work well. I think they have both 600cfm and 750cfm.

Last Mohican

Chief Petty Officer

Lookin good Corbin.

You may already know this but marine carbs have two basic design differences from street carbs:
1) They are typically coated to prevent corrosion in a harsh salt water marine environment.
2) The bowls are vented into the venturi instead of allowing fuel to run outside the carb in the event of a bowl overflow.

The coating is not as important on a trailed boat used in a fresh water environment. The bowl vent is a safety issue. Fuel being expelled from an overflowing bowl in a car would ultimately evaporate into the atmosphere. In the event it was a large amount of fuel it may eventually drip to the ground and evaporate. If you use an automotive carb on a boat especially with an enclosed engine compartment there is nowhere for the fuel or vapor to go. If it is a large amount of fuel it may drip into the bilge. For obvious reasons that is not a good thing. To combat this marine carbs vent into the venturi expelling fuel overflow down the carb and into the engine. This will cause the engine to run poorly or die but it is a much safer alternative than raw fuel flowing into the bilge.

Good eye boatnut.

corbin5754

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the info i did not know this, can you tell me a good carb to get. It did run kind of weird at about half throttle but at full throttle had no problems but only ran 30mph thanks for the info guys you have been a great help to me.

Last Mohican

Chief Petty Officer

I've had good luck with a Holley 80443 marine 850. I have 2 friends that have the same carb. Mine is on the Pontiac 400 in my Rebel. The other 2 are on a Cheverlot 454 and a Ford 460. I have swapped my carb on to a couple of other jet boats and they all seem to like it. Too bad you are not closer or I would let you try mine to see if it fixes your issues.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/0-80443/10002/-1

corbin5754

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Damn a little out of my price rance on that carb. seems like anything that has to deal with boats price is marked WAY up. Does anyone have a used marine carb laying around they would like to sell. Lol. Thanks for your offer though L Mohican...

Last Mohican

Chief Petty Officer

Damn a little out of my price rance on that carb. seems like anything that has to deal with boats price is marked WAY up. Does anyone have a used marine carb laying around they would like to sell. Lol. Thanks for your offer though L Mohican...

I actually bought mine used off of craigslist for $175. It was obviously very lightly used. Keep your eyes open. I'm sure one will turn up. One word of advise though, used carbs can have a lot of issues. If you are not familiar with carbs I would seriously consider saving your money and buying new. In the mean time you can do a little research on carb tuning. There are a lot of things you can do to the carb that is on there to get it running right. Your biggest source of help is going to be trying to hook up with some local jet boaters.

corbin5754

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Im lookin.....:facepalm: Lol

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Someone stole your seats :eek:.