65hp Merc proper starting proceedure?

xGH0ZTx

Seaman
I recently purchased a 1986 65 hp Mercury outboard and am not sure I am starting it properly. I lift the warmup lever bout half way and click the choke button and hold it in while I turn it over. It eventually starts but takes a while. Any help is greatly appreciated.

BatDaddy1887

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 65hp Merc proper starting proceedure?

1. Fully charged battery
2. Clean, fresh gas (maybe a cup full of Seafoam in the gas tank to clean out the fuel system)
3. Squeeze bulb till it's firm
4. Idle lever halfway up, push in choke as you start
5. After it starts, don't over-rev the engine, bring that lever back down and let it idle just a bit above normal
6. Let it warm up for 5-10 min.
7. Circle the launch or marina a few times the first time out to make sure the engine works properly before you get too far from dock
8. Enjoy years and years of boating like the rest of us!

xGH0ZTx

Seaman

I notice that when I press the choke button that metal covers click down but as the engine cranks the covers slide back open.
Should I be holding the choke button in? That keeps the covers closed.

BatDaddy1887

Chief Petty Officer

....most people hold the choke in till it starts. On mine, I just need one 2-second push to get things going. Seafoam or Mercury Quickcleen are great products to have on hand and use every so often.

xGH0ZTx

Seaman

I am not familiar with Seafoam or Mercury Quickcleen products but will look into them. Are they to help start the engine or are they maintenance items?

BatDaddy1887

Chief Petty Officer

...those are maintenance products designed help clean the system and are also used to decarb the engine.