1958 evinrude 35hp big twin

66evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i have a line on one of these engine just wondering what they are like and if parts are still available and if parts off my 1966 33 hp evinrude would fit

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1958 evinrude 35hp big twin

All engine parts of the engine are interchangable except the cylinder head. It has a built in compression release for manual starting, it also has a thermostat housing which the 33 does not. The gear case is also interchangable with the exception of the water pump housing. It is designeds to work with the thermostat cooling system.

lindy46

Captain

I'm pretty sure the '58 Bigtwin has the single water tube and no thermostat like the 33hp. The '58 Lark has the thermostat and dual water tubes, along with an outer exhaust housing. As mentioned, most parts should be interchangeable.

66evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class

cool thanks guys i got it anyhow got great deal

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

All engine parts of the engine are interchangable except the cylinder head. It has a built in compression release for manual starting, it also has a thermostat housing which the 33 does not. The gear case is also interchangable with the exception of the water pump housing. It is designeds to work with the thermostat cooling system.

This information is incorrect. The '58 Bigtwin does not have a t-stat. There is a 35hp model in the late fifties which does (see above comment about Lark model), but its a substantially different motor, with a different powerhead, midsection, waterpump system (dual tube) and gearcase. Other than the ignition system, starter, etc., there is very little that is interchangeable with his Bigtwin.

The 60s OMC 28hp and 33hp motors are derivitives of his '58 Bigtwin 35hp and many parts are interchangeable.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

i have a line on one of these engine just wondering what they are like and if parts are still available and if parts off my 1966 33 hp evinrude would fit

As a matter of fact, most parts of your 33hp Ski Twin will work on a '58 Big Twin. Interesting enough, you could swap heads and mount the 33hp powerhead on the '58 Big Twin. Really, the only difference between the 33 and the old Big Twin, is the shrouding and the head....and yea, the carb too. You could actually swap out the carbs too, if I'm not mistaken. The 33hp is actually based on the old 35's, they just made some cosmetic changes on it, to make it look more modern. Infact, if you look at the head on the 33, you'll see where there is mountings for the compression release arm to mount, but the casting in the head was changed, to eliminate the compression releases, themselves. LOL

The 28hp was based on the old 25 and 30 hp design, but again, modernized with the fiberglass hood, to match the rest of the product line of the '60's. The 28's and 33's, like the old Big Twins had no thermostats, but oddly enough, all the other models (except the 3hp) had them.

Like lindy said, the '58 Big Twin is totally different from the Lark. The Lark and Super Seahorse Johnson came out with Super Quiet suspensions in '58 and on. 56 and 57 Larks and Javelins were single wall, just like the Big Twins though.

Bottom line is: the old '58 Big Twin, in my opinion, is one of the best motors ever built. I would highly recemend it. Very reliable and easy to work on. If the compression is over 100 psi per cylinder, then you'll have a good runner for many years.

66evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok sounds great thanks ill give it try someday