alpha one forward gear

gellhawk

Cadet
Looking for more of the great advise available here.

3.7 mercruiser with alpha one outdrive...Having trouble with it going into forward gear. When i lift the neutral lock and push the throttle ahead it will often times just rev, but not go into gear. It's intermittant though, sometimes it will drop right into gear, but more often it now taking 3-4 times or as many as 6-8 times :mad: of going back to neutal and shifting back into forward before it will go into gear.

No problems at all with reverse, goes in first time every time.

Any help or ideas is much appreciated.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: alpha one forward gear

Looking for more of the great advise available here.

3.7 mercruiser with alpha one outdrive...Having trouble with it going into forward gear. When i lift the neutral lock and push the throttle ahead it will often times just rev, but not go into gear. It's intermittant though, sometimes it will drop right into gear, but more often it now taking 3-4 times or as many as 6-8 times :mad: of going back to neutal and shifting back into forward before it will go into gear.

No problems at all with reverse, goes in first time every time.

Any help or ideas is much appreciated.

Ayuh,... My 1st Guess is, the lower shift cable is worn internally, not allowin' Full travel....

If so, replace the lower cable...

gellhawk

Cadet

Ayuh,... My 1st Guess is, the lower shift cable is worn internally, not allowin' Full travel....

If so, replace the lower cable...

Thanks Bond-o,

Is it the lower shift cable that runs throght the transom to the outdrive? Thru the shift bellows? I have the manual at the lake with the boat (100 miles from home). Is that something that can be done fairly easily, or does it take some time. Or better left to the shop mechanics?

dn010

Petty Officer 1st Class

It does take some time to replace but it also depends on the cable you're replacing. If you have a shift cable that screws into the forward side of the bellhousing - it is more difficult than the updated cables. However, it is something you can do, with the boat out of the water...

gellhawk

Cadet

It does take some time to replace but it also depends on the cable you're replacing. If you have a shift cable that screws into the forward side of the bellhousing - it is more difficult than the updated cables. However, it is something you can do, with the boat out of the water...

dn010,

Looks like I didn't mention the year,1986. Does that help indicate whether or not the cable will screw into the forward side of the bellhousing. Boat is on the trailer at the camper, I'll take a good look at it this weekend.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

An 86-like mine , will have the newer style cable that threads in from the aft end. However you may get lucky and be able to get reverse [ MAYBE ] with a cable adjustment Read up on adjusting the lower shift cable. Replaceing it is somewhat involved, but DIYable. IMHO- Ya may wanna do some other stuff.. Has your U joint bellows, water hose etc..been replaced in recent history? I started out to replace just the cable, but noticed the water hose looking weak/frayed, The u joint bellows had alot of years on it. So I did all that as well. was like opening a can of worms. I could have got away with just the shift cable. But I am glad I got it all done.....Something to think about....

dn010

Petty Officer 1st Class

I should have elaborated. It requires outdrive removal (you'll probably want to drain / refill), you should also check engine alignment while the drive is off. As stated above - you may need additional repairs once you begin the cable replacement. Remove the shift cable from inside the boat and operate it by hand. If it is smooth you may get by with just an adjustment, if not then you'll need replacement.

When I thought I just needed to replace my u-joint bellows, I ended up having to replace all the bellows, gimbal bearing, all shift cables, water hoses, water pump, u-joints, yokes, rebuilt & reseal upper outdrive... And that list is off the top of my head...

gellhawk

Cadet

An 86-like mine , will have the newer style cable that threads in from the aft end. However you may get lucky and be able to get reverse [ MAYBE ] with a cable adjustment Read up on adjusting the lower shift cable. Replaceing it is somewhat involved, but DIYable. IMHO- Ya may wanna do some other stuff.. Has your U joint bellows, water hose etc..been replaced in recent history? I started out to replace just the cable, but noticed the water hose looking weak/frayed, The u joint bellows had alot of years on it. So I did all that as well. was like opening a can of worms. I could have got away with just the shift cable. But I am glad I got it all done.....Something to think about....

Thanks for the reply Paul,

All bellows and gimbal bearing were replaced 2 years ago. I enjoy DIY and try to do as much as i can, until i know i can't. Sounds like something i should be able to tackle.

gellhawk

Cadet

I should have elaborated. It requires outdrive removal (you'll probably want to drain / refill), you should also check engine alignment while the drive is off. As stated above - you may need additional repairs once you begin the cable replacement. Remove the shift cable from inside the boat and operate it by hand. If it is smooth you may get by with just an adjustment, if not then you'll need replacement.

When I thought I just needed to replace my u-joint bellows, I ended up having to replace all the bellows, gimbal bearing, all shift cables, water hoses, water pump, u-joints, yokes, rebuilt & reseal upper outdrive... And that list is off the top of my head...

Food for thought, thanks again dn.