Boat Cleaning Problems

countrytime

Cadet
The photo is of our boat. How can i get this salt spray or wax looking stuff off of our boat? To see what i am talking about look at the red coloring and you can see the whiteing in it. Also what is the best thing to use for the scum yellowing underneath the boat?
Thanks
Countrytime

Attachments

• New_0321.jpg
    New_0321.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Boat Cleaning Problems

Ayuh,... It might be time for color sanding, polishin', 'n waxin'....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I wash her down first using some TSP (Tri Sodium Phosphate) You can buy it at Lowe's. Then I'd apply some of this and go to town with a polisher. Harbor Freight has theirs on Sale for $30 bucks

image_9259.jpg

BWT

Petty Officer 1st Class

Personally I would start with a heavy compound like WOG suggested, however I suspect that the color retention will be short lived. If that cuts it (no pun intended :) great, but I would also have in the back of my mind that a good wetsanding with 1200 grit and a block could be in your future (be careful of the corners and edges; easy to sand through). Then buff everything back out and use a good wax.. She'll look like new.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I'd try Nu-finish car wax first, it's pretty good at taking off oxidation and leaving a nice wax shine... and it's not that expensive.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Car wax and boat wax are not the same...

Gel coats are significantly harder and more porous than car paint. As a result in order to get the best results and longevity out of you wax application you would need a marine wax. The reason??? Marine waxes are designed with fine abrasives that clean the gel coat surface and pores from old waxes and other contaminents before leaving a fresh layer of protection. I am in favor of using a Marine wax that has a healthy dose of polymers in it making it more durable to the elements that boats are subjected to than carnauba wax which is very prevalent in car waxes. A good marine wax will give your boat a great shine and more importantly last longer. This can help repel water making water spotting less of a pain in your stern.;)

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class

There's a guy on here somewhere that swears by vasoline rubbed thoroughly into the finish and you'll be good to go. If you want a quick fix, that might do it, but I'm in agreement that some elbow grease and careful wet sanding will make it look like new... Polish it out after the wet-sanding and the finish will look good for years to come.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I'd try Nu-finish car wax first, it's pretty good at taking off oxidation and leaving a nice wax shine... and it's not that expensive.

The thing is he needs to strip/buff off whatever crap coating is on there now ( could even be a burned out Nu-finish wax ).

You need to get that Mop'n glow stuff off first there CT. If you can buff it off great .. if you need to wetsand and buff ..well thats what you need to do.

There is NO product out there in a bottle that your going to wipe on and be done with it. Your looking at some sore muscles and sweat and alot of cold bee.. um.. iced tea ;) .

Woody is right .. Gel is a different animal all together then paint.

Try the rubbing compound first is agreed here .

YD.

PS. Do not wax your hull when done with the buffing out. You might be trapping some left over crappola in your gel. Wait and see what happens before you consider putting wax on there.