removing lower unit

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander
Im gonna try to change my waterpump for the first time. 03 Yamaha F90TLRB, should I put it in gear or neutral before removing it? Any helpfull advice would be greatly appreciated,thanks.

yamatech43

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: removing lower unit

Havn't worked much on the smaller motors...but on a true Yamaha, you always just leave it in neutral...just be sure lower unit is still in neutral also going back on....but now the Mercury Yamahas/Yamaha Mercurys from back then I think were only bigger and tiny motors, Mercs are usually left in forward gear....yours will be neutral i'm sure..

robert graham

Admiral

Leave motor in neutral, replace entire water pump kit, not just the impellar. I just did my first water pump replacement a few months ago and I was surprised that it wasn't the nightmare I'd read about. Check: SIMYamaha-Andy's Tips, for step-by-step instructions with photos on water pump replacement, very helpful! Good Luck and let us know how it goes!

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

thanks a bunch for the advice. does Sierra make good waterpump kits, or should I spend a little more for genuine Yamaha parts? Im also going to fab. a wooden rack to hold the LU vertical while im working on it.

robert graham

Admiral

I would use the Yamaha parts for sure, the entire water pump kit is only about $50. A pair of 2"X4" boards, side by side, and about 4"apart, screwed into the top of your workbench, hanging over the front about 15" makes a great place to set your lower unit to work on it.
The 90HP Yamaha doesn't have those little wave washer/compression rings, so that's just one less thing to deal with. Make sure your impellar vanes are turned in the appropriate direction for driveshaft rotation(make a mental note when you first look at it). Not that much to it, as long as none of your bolts don't break off due to corrosion. I used the Quicksilver 2-4-C Waterproof grease for impellar re-assembly and all bolt threads. Good Luck!