87 ELTH 90 HP 2 Stroke Flooded, cure?

gstrom11

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So little background, 2 weeks ago I had a little fuel delivery problem which ended up being the valve that connects the fuel line to the motor itself. Got that replaced and got out it out on the water and ran fine. Wondering if I did try starting it too many times though prior to pinpointing the issue.

Go out Sunday to get the boat ready for a day on the lake and put it on the muffs and no start at all, it would crank, but not turn over. I pulled the plugs and they were all wet, thinking i was choking it too much.. I am going to test for spark tonight, but seeing the plugs in this shape, should i replace them anyway? Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• IMAG0367.jpg
    IMAG0367.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 0

robert graham

Admiral
Re: 87 ELTH 90 HP 2 Stroke Flooded, cure?

Plug looks fine, just blow it off with some carb cleaner and an air hose. Your motor may just be flooded from over-choking, but bad fuel pump can cause raw fuel to get pulled into motor causing very fuel-rich condition. Remove all plugs and crank motor over to blow raw fuel out and get some fresh air in there, replace plugs and it may start right up! Good Luck!

gstrom11

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the info Robert, will give that a shot tonight and report back.

gstrom11

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well no go on the starting right up, tested for spark and no spark after cleaning everythin gup. I have seen a lot to do with kill switch problems on this? Any quick tips to test to see if that is the case? I may just have to bring it in to the repair shop here soon, pretty new to outboard stuff.

Thanks for any advice guys!

gstrom11

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just wanted to update, I disconnected and reconnected every possible wire connection on the motor and up in the remote and everything is working again, maybe something just wiggled loose, she is 24 years old..

Thanks for the help guys!