2002 Johnson 150 Dying When Given a Lot of Gas in Gear

gamespanker

Cadet
Bought boat today from private owner.

Took to lake, boat idled fine in neutral and in gear. When I punched it, it died. Kept doing it. Started, idled fine, if I gave a tiny bit of gas at a time it start to pick up speed, but then I would gun it and it would die again. This happend in forward and reverse. If it was in nuetral I could gun it and it would not die.

Thanks for the help, not sure what to do.

wilkie

Recruit
Re: 2002 Johnson 150 Dying When Given a Lot of Gas in Gear

I'm having the same problem with my 1985 70hp Johnson motor. Does anyone have a solution? Would appreciate the help.

jwellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like a fuel restiction somewhere, check your fuel lines, filter and gas tank vents and verify they are clear.

Bought boat today from private owner.

Took to lake, boat idled fine in neutral and in gear. When I punched it, it died. Kept doing it. Started, idled fine, if I gave a tiny bit of gas at a time it start to pick up speed, but then I would gun it and it would die again. This happend in forward and reverse. If it was in nuetral I could gun it and it would not die.

Thanks for the help, not sure what to do.

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer

What jwellcraft said. Also look in the "top secret" sticky file at the top of the johnson/evinrude page. It will help a lot in tuning and throuble shooting. With a new-to-you used motor you should be doing compression check, spark check, and fuel check. All cylinders got about the same compression? With spark checking tool or timing light and spark plug visual check, are all cylinders getting good spark?

Can you get to WOT (wide open throttle) by feathering the throttle?