Too much power? Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharp Shooter

Petty Officer 1st Class
Honestly, I'm a little green when it comes to slow boats. Until I joined this site I had never even heard of hulls with Horspower limitaions. Back here on the west coast (where the Hot Rod boating world started) we put as much power as we can in boats. The local cops don't check us and I don't see how they could! It's not like our boats are stamped with any kind of tags telling us what we can or cannot power up with.

I guess my question is, how do you guys know where to draw the line? Is it in the sales brochure or something?

normal_DSC06237.JPG

normal_NKRA_016.jpg

normal_NKRA_086.jpg

normal_Needles_sept_2009_146.jpg

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral
Re: Too much power? Really?

SS you have the coolest pics!!

Sharp Shooter

Petty Officer 1st Class

hp ratings are on OUTBOARD hulls....

Thanks for the reply! Is there a tag somewhere on these boats that the coast guard can check? I've got a buddy with an STV and he's taken his 300 hp Merc 2.5 up to 500 horsepower using every trick in the book. He's never once mentioned any hull limitations set forth by his manufacturer... ?

Maybe this is a fishing boat thing right?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Here is one from my 1973 Starcraft.
Click the thumbnails.

ababab.jpg

Older ones didn't mention the Coast Guard.
Newer ones are black and yellow.

Here in Wisconsin, they are law, for outboard powered boats under 20'.

Max capacity label.jpg

Sharp Shooter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here is one from my 1973 Starcraft.
Click the thumbnails.

View attachment 105784

Older ones didn't mention the Coast Guard.
Newer ones are black and yellow.

Here in Wisconsin, they are law, for outboard powered boats under 20'.

View attachment 105785

Ok, thank you for taking the time to post that! A lot of our boats have a coast guard tag attached to the stringers but the Horsepower limitation part isn't there.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Basically when the fridge door flew off and everything in the bow went aft, in the unforgettable words of my ex wife, SLOW THE **** DOWN!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Length and width are part of the equation. Like I have a 17' boat rated for 130 hp and they get it by a lot of gunwale and bow sharpness. The amount of boat actually in the water would be more like what you would have with a 14' alum skiff.

Really nice racers...see the nitro bottle in one of the pics. On the subject, I have seen a guy flip over backwards at about 200 mph....boat went airborne, flipped and killed him. Hope you guys make it.

Mark

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I'm a little green when it comes to smooth-water running, but I love the pics of the cute little duck-pond boats! The way you guys ride with your knees up by your elbows and the steering wheel down by your feet cracks me up!

Although I was thinking something similar of BOTH of you two! You both think go-fast boats need to go fast in a straight line, turning is optional. (look at offshore racing... Go 10's of miles in one direction, then make a nice big long turn that might take a couple minutes, then do it all again...)

REAL boats can turn!

0374PCaugheyNZ_jetboats2.jpg

MorrisonCheckers.jpg

southkogs

Staff member

I guess my question is, how do you guys know where to draw the line? Is it in the sales brochure or something?

normal_DSC06237.JPG

I cracked up reading "where to draw the line" just above the image with flames bursting out the back of the boat! SS is that a turbine similar to what the unlimiteds use?

I've watched a few runs of boats like these - way outside of my comfort zone to be on - and I've gotten a kick out of watching them go. Never seen them live though.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

No matter how many times I see this, still unbelievable! I'm assuming these are jet drive? Having navigated for a couple of amateur rally races, I can't imagine the communication in the cocpit of these things!

Sharp Shooter

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm a little green when it comes to smooth-water running, but I love the pics of the cute little duck-pond boats! The way you guys ride with your knees up by your elbows and the steering wheel down by your feet cracks me up! Reminds me of those little toy electric cars and jeeps you see kids riding around in, except you stuck a bunch of "bling" on a motor in back.

When you guys think you can handle a real boat, move up to offshore, multiple motors, and some real power! :D

http://www.everythingoffshore.com/offshore-racing-events.html

I think offshore boats are pretty cool, but to be honest they're nowhere near as exciting as the 18 foot lake boats. Some of my best friends are offshore racers and I've ridden in many of these big boat. Have you ever ridden in one of these? Obviously not...:rolleyes:

The big boats are like flying in a 737. They're fast (not quick) and so big and heavy you lose the feel of speed. You sit low in an 18 foot flatbottom or hydro and your power to weight ratio is unmatched. The smaller boats are like riding in an f-16 both fast and maneuverable, but definately not a comfy. Last weekend in MO a small Top Fuel Hydro reached 242 Mph in 3.5 seconds.

Sharp Shooter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Although I was thinking something similar of BOTH of you two! You both think go-fast boats need to go fast in a straight line, turning is optional. (look at offshore racing... Go 10's of miles in one direction, then make a nice big long turn that might take a couple minutes, then do it all again...)

REAL boats can turn!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL58hUAGQu8

0374PCaugheyNZ_jetboats2.jpg

MorrisonCheckers.jpg

I like turning too! And I'm a big fan of those river jets! :cool:

Sharp Shooter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Length and width are part of the equation. Like I have a 17' boat rated for 130 hp and they get it by a lot of gunwale and bow sharpness. The amount of boat actually in the water would be more like what you would have with a 14' alum skiff.

Really nice racers...see the nitro bottle in one of the pics. On the subject, I have seen a guy flip over backwards at about 200 mph....boat went airborne, flipped and killed him. Hope you guys make it.

Mark

Yes, fatalities in racing are never good. I guess you have to decide if you're gonna die of boredom or excitement. :D

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

SS, you have ventured onto a different planet.

Racing boats and pleasure boats (cruising, skiing or fishing) are as different as F-1 and rush hour gridlock.

Let us not offend each other with our ignorance of the other side. We can all learn a bunch from each other. :)

mohead1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thought alot of it had to do with the outdrive durability? Like my 260 Mercruiser with Alpha 1 might take a bump to 300, but after that the torque will start tearing parts up......dunno......just my two cents....but Id like to put some power in my Wellcraft for sure, like 350 would be nice, hehe......

Tahorover

Chief Petty Officer

I'm with you Sharp Shooter, I have over 500hp in my 19' Arabian. ;)

Attachments

• 4-11-arabian.jpg
    4-11-arabian.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Mopar-marine440.JPG
    Mopar-marine440.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 0

Sharp Shooter

Petty Officer 1st Class

SS, you have ventured onto a different planet.

Racing boats and pleasure boats (cruising, skiing or fishing) are as different as F-1 and rush hour gridlock.

My original post has 3 pictures of pleasure boats. I didn't bring up racing until smokingcrater did. 45auto also trued to derail the thread but I playfully responded there as well.

Let us not offend each other with our ignorance of the other side. We can all learn a bunch from each other. :)

You'll notice I haven't (nor would I) attack others unless I'm attacked first. :D

Do Unto Others As You Would Have Them Do Unto You! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.