Huge issues with 92 150 Fast Strike overheating

fabphrog

Recruit
OK so after 10 min of high RPM the engine will limit and eventually overheat. I took it to the mechanic and he is at a loss. The lower unit is new to include water pump and impeller. I have replaced the thermostats and the temp sensors. The compression is low, left bank is in the mid 80's psi and the right bank is high 70's psi for the compression test. The engine according to the mechanic runs great with out the thermostats in....any suggestions? I cant afford a new motor so please no "get rid of the Johnson" jokes. Im lost with this motor right now...btw this all started after the replacement of the lower unit.:(

bernd64

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Huge issues with 92 150 Fast Strike overheating

you put the rubber garmet back on the cupper tube at the waterpump?

fabphrog

Recruit

I didnt replace the pump myself but 2 different mechanics have looked at it. I asked the secont mechanic to check the firsts work just to make sure he didnt goon up the job (first mechanic replaced lower unit and water pump) he said it looked fine, and water is spitting out with great pressure. the only thing the secont mechanic did replace other than what was in my original post was he replaced the impeller cup due to a burr that was in it...it didnt help the heating issue

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Did you replace it with a SEI lower unit? If so and engine is on a jack plate lower it 1/2"inch as the offshore style pickups are not designed for high transom height and they are about 2-4 mph slower than a 4 hole housing due to its design. Also install the newer style t-stats and screw covers to better cool engine.

fabphrog

Recruit

im not on a jack plate, im told it hurts my speed on this particular boat, as for the stats they are brand new but they are the required part # for the motor and i do have the threaded caps. is there a newer style stat for this motor or am I looking at bigger problems than the thermostats? I dont know what lower unit is on the boat, my original mechanic installed it for me with insurance $ (them submerged logs tend to bite hard) but I can sure find out. I do know he ordered the unit out of the OMC catalog for my engine. This is a fresh water rig btw its on a 18.5 ft 92 year Ranger 461V