Fuel line hoses

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer
I just rebuilt the (2) carbs on my 1976 Evinrude 55HP motor and am getting ready to install. I want to replace the hoses from the fuel pump to the carbs and the small line between the carbs so I have all new system. The old line between the carbs was clear plastic and the hose from the pump to the carbs was a cut piece off a primer hose assembly. My question is....does fuel line hose for outboards HAVE to be special or can you use a good automotive type of line. Does the small line between the carbs HAVE to clear plastic? Plenty of automotive hise to be found but darn little marine hose to be found.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Fuel line hoses

You can use automotive hose, just make sure it is ethanol resistant. As far as I know OMC never used clear fuel lines, use the same type on everything.

reddogg

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've used automotive hose with no ill effect for years, I say go for it.

Red

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

I have a piece of 3/8 OMC fuel line hose from a tank hose / primer assembly that is fairly new...any problem using that or just go ahead with the auto hose, provided it is resistant as mentioned? Some of the fuel lines made for the tanks just looks to be cheaply made....maybe it;s fine though.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

If you have confidence in the quality of the hose, go ahead and use it.