boat stalls in neutral? can anyone help?

ratking20

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i have a 1992 searay 220 bowrider. i/o 5.7 260hp mercruiser alpha one.

just replaced the risers, starter, solenoid,a relay, and battery

the boat wont start without throttle most of the time, occasionally it does. and when i shift into neutral it slowly starts to die out and stalls. not right away, it takes a minute or 2 but it stalls out?

anything i can look into with the starting and stalling???????

Bondo

Staff member
Re: boat stalls in neutral? can anyone help?

i have a 1992 searay 220 bowrider. i/o 5.7 260hp mercruiser alpha one.

just replaced the risers, starter, solenoid,a relay, and battery

the boat wont start without throttle most of the time, occasionally it does. and when i shift into neutral it slowly starts to die out and stalls. not right away, it takes a minute or 2 but it stalls out?

anything i can look into with the starting and stalling???????

Ayuh,... Sounds like a Carb problem to me,... might need rebuildin'...

Is there any water in the filters,..??

ratking20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ive been reading post like mine, thats exactly what im going to check into next.
if there IS water, how can i fix that problem????
the engine doesn't sound right lately! not getting the power i used to get. shaking a little more that it used to. and i thought it sounded louder at the sterndrive? i could be imagining things but its definitely seems to be slower and sounds different at WOT

dvandsm64

Petty Officer 2nd Class

we had the same trouble. a new starter and a carb rebuild (Supposedly because of ethanol gas) and we are running great. good luck.

Petemar

Cadet

Have a 120 hp, 1987 Mercruiser I/O, and was going through something similar. When I filled the tank I added a can of Seafoam, and it has been running fine since, as long as I warm it up first.
Currently I am looking to mount a water/fuel separator and need advice on whether to use a short or tall filter, where to mount - prior to or after in-line fuel filter. Any help would be appreciated.

Bondo

Staff member

Have a 120 hp, 1987 Mercruiser I/O, and was going through something similar. When I filled the tank I added a can of Seafoam, and it has been running fine since, as long as I warm it up first.
Currently I am looking to mount a water/fuel separator and need advice on whether to use a short or tall filter, where to mount - prior to or after in-line fuel filter. Any help would be appreciated.

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard Pete,... This is Ratking's thread,...

Start 1 of yer Own, 'n We'll be Glad to answer All yer questions....

TEutis

Seaman Apprentice

Just had a similar issue and it turned out to be the spark plugs.

happy4howlong

Recruit

I'm going through the same thing right now, I'll let you know what I find out (if I can fix it) 3.0 135hp