Spark Plug Cross Reference Confusion 5.0 Volvo GL-E

I have a 2004 Glastron GS249 with a Volvo 5.0 GL carbureted engine. It has the EST distributor. I am not near the boat right now to fetch the engine serial number, but my best guess is that this is either a GL-D or GL-E model.

I removed the spark plugs and found AC MR43LTS in the holes. I have no way of knowing if these are the original plugs for this engine.

An online search for new spark plugs reveals Volvo Penta part number 21467472 as the correct replacement spark plugs.

Can anyone here confirm what brand and model of plugs come in the Volvo boxes at the dealer? From what I can gather, it sounds like Volvo may be shipping Champion 12PYP plugs right now.

I have some NGK TR55ix (iridium) plugs that a friend just gave me. I am thinking these may cross reference in this case, but I need to know what Volvo is shipping right now to be sure.

Thanks!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Spark Plug Cross Reference Confusion 5.0 Volvo GL-E

AC 41-993 Platinum is what should be in it. Yes, Volvo will ship chumpions, you don't want to go there.

Last edited:

AC 41-932 Platinum is what should be in it. Yes, Volvo will ship chumpions, you don't want to go there.

As always, Don, thanks. I have never been a fan of Champion Spark Plugs and I do know from experience that AC Delco plugs work extremely well in GM engines.

The Delco number you provided me (41-932) actually supersedes to a 41-933 Delco. Or, cross-referenced to an NGK, a TR55, which my friend gave to me as he sold a car and never used the plugs.

Because they are free, I might as well give the NGKs a shot. I have no experience using NGK in Chevy V-8 engines, but I have had great luck with NGK in a whole pile of powersports stuff.

Hopefully, these free NGKs won't be a mistake.

Thanks!

Maclin

Admiral

The heat range is most important. Modern sparkplugs are more forgiving, but in the old days typical auto plugs would be too "hot" and cause run-on in the comparatively over-rich boat engines. As always, too cold and they would gas foul.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The Delco number you provided me (41-932) actually supersedes to a 41-933 Delco.

I forgot about that number change. Actually, the number changed to 41-993, not 933.