Man, the Humming birds are crazy thick this year!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have two feeders and they are not small, they are good sized feeders and I am filling them up twice a day right now, I am looking at one of them right now and you would swear there is a dog fight going on between the Russians and the US, there is over 20 birds trying to get to this feeder!

:eek:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Man, the Humming birds are crazy thick this year!

We get them just visiting the flowers......... the wife and I discussed feeders but we already have 3 nice size bird seed feeders out......

I am way to cynical to have one .......... I always wondered if Red Bull would turbo their wings :eek: :rolleyes: :D Just kidding people ........ Here come the flames!! :facepalm:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Even though I shouldn't, I have both seed feeders for the birds and liquid feeders for the hummers, in 15 years, I have only had a couple of bears try to get at them..

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I feed hummers and seed eaters, too, MTBoatguy.

I am currently maintaining three 1qt hummer feeders and 2 2lb sunflower feeders. The weather and the drought are so bad the hummers don't have other options.

I get the biggest populations of transients in mid Sept when I feed as many a 200-300 hummers a gallon of nectar a day.

Over the past 19 years the birds have gotten used to stopping at The Hideout when migrating, summering here (hummers), and wintering here (several varieties of finches, mostly goldfinches).

This was last fall, before I went to the 1 qt. feeders.

watermark.php

foodfisher

Captain

I've got them fighting with each other to get at the water when I hose my garden. Pretty cool.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

Im facinated that the tiny birds can migrate a thousand miles or more back to our house each spring and will hover in front of our window looking for the feeder that we put away in the fall! They seem a little upset that the feeder is not there, until I quickly fill and re mount it to the window.

robert graham

Admiral

We have a feeder and see them every now and then...not much better in nature than a hummingbird!..I found one that flew into a window at Bojangles a couple of weeks ago, a ruby-throated/green iridescent jewel, picked him up, walked over in the grassy area and he took off! It just knocked the wind out of him! Probably the only time I may ever hold one in my hand!

rbh

Fleet Admiral

We used to feed them on the porch, but things got alittle hectic out there one day and just about got the beak in the face, enough of that stuff!!!!

side note, was hiking in the rockies and was on a ridge line at 10500 feet, stopped for a drink and 2 seconds later one hovered right in in front of me, what he was doing up there I have no idea, we were about 3000 feet above the tree line????

sasto

Captain

We don't get many here in my part of FL......MTboatguy... When we spent some summers up north, I loved watching those birds. Nice photo, JB, now I can enjoy them again! :D

D

DJ

I love them.

I have a three tier fountain, in my backyard, that they have claimed as their own. I've seen them them run off all other types of birds. The Hummer's nest in two trees in the backyard.

I tried feeders but the red breasted finches overtook them, in numbers, that the hummers couldn't fend off. There are plenty of desert flowers in and around my backyard. The Hummer's are able to defend their water source, against the finches, because there are other sources of water around.

I turn the fountain off each night, with a remote control, and on again in the morning.

I can walk out, in the morning, with that remote in hand and they will fly right up to my face as to say: Come one-turn it on! I do and they return to within one foot of my face as to say: Thanks! They play in that fountain all morning an evening.

They have quite a personality and seem to be quite intellegent-for birds.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have found that it is impossible to be on a bummer and watching hummers at the same time.

The house wrens that nest on my porch have that same effect.

D

DJ

I have found that it is impossible to be on a bummer and watching hummers at the same time.

The house wrens that nest on my porch have that same effect.

I agree. Their antics are truly comical.

Mrs. DJ loves to watch them, as she reads, in the mornings. She wasn't tuned into them, at first, but now truly loves them. She is amazed at their boldness and bravery.

All good. It takes us back to what is really-real.