25 Evinrude acting goofy need some help again fellas

I have a 25 horse 1992 Evinrude model E25ELENS . I am having a problem when I get to WOT it surges I back it off for 2 or 3 min open it back up to WOT then everything works fine . I noticed my bulb was a bit squishy so I purchesed a new one thinking the check valve may be leaking . This did not fix the problem I figure I must have a air leak or somthing of that nature . could it be the fuel pump needs replaced or do I have somthing else going on . Like I said when I back off and then hang a bit before I go WOT everything is fine . What do you guys think have you seen this before or has it happened thanks guys for the help

reddogg

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 25 Evinrude acting goofy need some help again fellas

First I'd check all your connections and make sure they are tight so no air is getting in and that your fuel/water sepperator/filter is in good shape. Now when you say surges, do you mean that it loses power than gets it back, or that it gains power than losses it? If it's losing power than gets it back I'd say look at your fuel pumps as they might be playing catch-up when it's off power, maybe a rebuild is needed. If it's gaining than losing it could still be your fuel pumps or maybe an intermitant obstruction in the fuel flow. Either way, if it's been awhile I'd do a rebuild on the fuel pumps and I also recomend installing a clear glass fuel filter with replaceable elements in a horizontol position under your cowling. This lets you see the fuel flow and give you an idea of how well your pumps are working at a glance, it also lets you see any crud that's getting past your main filter. Also the pump bulb's aren't supposed to stay tight like when you prime the engine once it's running. Hope this helps, good luck:)

Red