Need help with Selectric / Hydro Electric Shifters

jbing81

Chief Petty Officer
Anyone out there have any knowledge with these shifters? I have the Selectric Evinrude with the push button shift and have had just about enough of running into the dock!!

I have a lead on a Johnson Hydro Electric shifter in the traditional forward and reverse setup. My intention is to swap it with my current shifter but Im not sure if they are interchangeable? Some insight would be great!

Ive already posted this in the outboard forum, but I rarely receive a concrete answer in there...

Re: Need help with Selectric / Hydro Electric Shifters

this is from experience. lower unit must be full of type "c" fluid or shifting is less than optimum. as for changing lower unit, you have a coarse or 4 spline shaft out of end of crank. if shaft on lower unit does not match this, it will not work. also check connections of wires going to lower unit. they are handshake connectors and may just need a cleaning. trace them back and you will find a piece that looks like a scrotum( only way to describe it). if you dont have power to lower unit it is locked in forward. when motor is running it powers lower unit and shifts to neutral.no power is forward and the other wire is reverse. good luck.