1979 Evinrude 70 hp fuel problems.

Hello everyone. I just had the motor serviced and fixed. Mechanic put on new powerpack, rectifier, starting silenoid, carb rebuild kits, spark plugs and a complete checkout. I took my boat to the lake this weekend and put it in the water and nothing. It would turn over great and had good fire, but all three plugs were soaked with gas. I would take out the plugs and shoot them with carb cleaner and let them dry. I let the cylinders air out and dry too. After that it would start and run, it was a little sluggish and didnt seem to have the power that it should. But if i killed the motor for a little bit it would do the same thing. Was wondering if the fuel tank vent is clogged and it is like 100+ degrees outside. Would or can the fuel tank build up enough pressure that when you try to start it, it force to much gas into the carbs and flood it? Thank you in advance for your response.

Re: 1979 Evinrude 70 hp fuel problems.

Sorry and also it seemed that it used a whole lot of gas too. used like 5 gallons to go approx 1.5 miles. thanks

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Float stuck open from the carb rebuild? If you pump the ball can you pump fuel right through a carb? I suspect that you have a stuck float, call the tech and tell him you need it fixed right this time.

But what is the possibility that the float will stick in all three carbs? When I pull out the plugs they are all three wet with gas. Are all three carbs connected together? I don't know much about all of marine engine. I am calling the tech tomorrow but I just wanted to check and see if that secinero is possible?

Also I only pumped the primer ball mainly the first try. Then I didn't touch it.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

One float level will not affect all three carbs. Each carb has its own float to control the fuel flow. I guess it is possiable to get the float level off when the carbs were overhauled. If all the cylinders are flooding with fuel, it has to come through the carbs.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Isn't there a common area in the intake manifold? I am not sure so I'm asking. If so that would let one stuck float flood all three cylinders.

If he motor isn't running because of one flooded cylinder the others will continue to accumulate fuel as you crank.

Try pumping the ball Catfish, if you can pump right through a carb there is your problem.

An open float will drain a whole tank of gas through the carb if the tank is at the same level as the carb, like on my pontoon.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

No, your engine is basically three single cylinder engine stacked on top of each other.