Help rebuilding gear drive in upper unit

scooby333

Cadet
I'm using a complete rebuild kit to replace the gears in the upper case of my
Gen I Alpha I I/O.

The kit that I bought is GLM11215 (OEM 43-803116T1)

My engine is a Mercruiser 350.

The problem I'm having is that I don't know if I AM or AM NOT supposed to use the small spacer ring with the rebuld kit. According to the manual I have it says if USING press on bearings that I don't need the small spacer. The paper work that came with the kit only says in step 2 that I should not use the OLD small spacer and to DISCARD the old one. The paper work in the kit doesn't say to use the new SMALLER spacer. It goes right to step 3 and says to use the new larger spacer.

When I disassembled the worn out gear assembly in my drive it did have the smaller spacer. The old berrings did slide of the old gear with a little bit of hand force but did not require a press to take everything apart. Everything looks the same between the original gears in the case and the new gears I'm trying to install.

While viewing the kits between a Gen I and a Gen II i noticed that they use the exact same parts except that the only part not in a GEN II is the smaller spacer. If they use the exact same parts in the kits why does GEN I parts list show the small spacer but the GEN II doesn't????

Dan

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help rebuilding gear drive in upper unit

I have replaced gearsets using the new style and cannot firure out why merecruiser would do such a stupid thing. After 3 hours of trying to get the rolling torque just right I pressed the gears apart, installed the small spacer and torqued the nut to spec. Works just fine.Should you not use the small ring `ll pay postage to me.