Need advice on transom repair on 17.5 sea nymph

rapidsmuskyman

Recruit
This is my second attempt to post a couple questions. I'm in the process of repairing a rotten transom on my 17.5 ft aluminum boat. I was hoping to remove in one piece but it was so punky the lower portion came out in shreds. I was able to remove the thru hull screws in the center well of the boat but on either side the battery compartment blocks access and it is all enclosed in aluminum that is heavily riveted into splash well above and the sides. I'm contenplating using a hole saw to drill a hole on the back side of each side battery compartment to access the nuts of the screws that i can't get to that come thru the transom sandwiching the plywood in place. Any ideas are welcomed. Also there are three 1" aluminum tubes that go from splash well thru transom, two are to drain splash well and one is for transducer cables. These tubes are roll crimped to aluminum skin on each side of transom. My question is do i need to remove, if so how do i replace? Or do i slot new transom material to go around these tubes? Please respond asap i'm desperate to get back on the water. Thanks

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need advice on transom repair on 17.5 sea nymph

It is almost impossible to help you without being able to SEE what your are seeing. There's a link in my signature on how to post pics. Get some posted so we can see what you're dealing with. The drain tubes will NEED to come out. Use a chisel to knock down the lip on the inside and then tap them out. You can buy replacements right here in the iBoats store. Here's a drawing on how to make your own installation tool or you can buy one for 40 bucks or you might be able to borrow one from a local marina.

(Click the Pic to Enlarge)

DrainTubeTool.JPG

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

The hole saw will probably work for the nuts, you can patch them over after reinstalling the nuts and bolts after the new wood goes in.

The thru transom sleeves need to be removed then redrill the holes through the new wood and install new sleeves. Notching around them isn't an option.

rapidsmuskyman

Recruit

thanks for advice, in will remove drain tubes and put in solid sheet of plywood

rapidsmuskyman

Recruit

thanks for invalueable advice and flaring tool pics, i will get to making tool and be on the water in no time