Strange noise from my Alpha one

Pikey23

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi Guys,
I just changed the manifold on my 3.0 mercruiser 140. Started her up and I am now hearing a strange "grinding" sound from the top of my outdrive when it is at idle. It only happens when the unit it is turned all the way left. I had the drive off in the spring and the marina said that the gimbal bearing and u-joints were good. I had an issue installing the shift cable bracket onto the new manifold because it has freeze plugs located where the old one did not. Could I have an issue that can be solved with a shift cable adjustment? Could I be partly engaged in gear? How would I be able to check this? It runs fine but the shifter feels a little different then it did before I did the manifold. it is a little stiffer. Thanks for your help!

Pikey23

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Strange noise from my Alpha one

I can not get this problem off my mind! Today When I got home I grabbed the outdrive (in the down position, boat off) and moved it left and right. I here the same grinding sound. I am now figuring that it is the rear u-joint. I can easily change the front one but the rear has some sort of retainer in the way. I know that a special tool is required to remove that retainer. Is there a way to make my own or do it without the tool? I am nervous about going at it with a hammer and chisel. Looking at the drawing there is a bearing behind it. I foresee an issue with re-torquing the retainer. Any help would be great. Thanks

Pete104

Lieutenant

The proper tool is available somewhere! Don't go hammering on it.

Pikey23

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Would some sort of strap wrench work for removal? I know that someone here has done it without spending $$$ on the tool. Does the bad u-joint diagnosis sound like it makes sense?

Pete104

Lieutenant

Yes, it makes sense. But, it has to come apart and you have to re-torque it when you reassemble!

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

I just went thru that..[ I believe you are talking about the big 3- 7/8in spanner nut that holds the u-joint assembly in place ] I tried a strap wrench, an oil fiter wrench, crowbar... NO WAY, that sucker is tight. ! :mad: And it had just been apart and reassembled to replace the upper bearing, so it WASNT rusted/corroded. I found a spanner wrench on ebay in Ohio for $21 plus $8 or so for shipping. [Sorry I boats, but ya couldn't touch that price] Brand new, the guy has more. Had it in 2 days.There is a formula for setting your torque wrench when you use an extension. My torque wrench has instructions for figuring it out, And its on line as well. The spanner nut needs to be torqued to 200 ft pounds , with a 17.5 in long torque wrench and the 11.25 in long spanner wrench, I needed to set my torque wrench to 119.5 lbs I believe it was.. I had to take mine upper apart to replace oil seals, Are you sure ya cant do your u joints with the upper together ? When I changed mine 15 yrs ago on my Alpha 1, I didnt have to take it apart.

Pikey23

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think that I just ordered the tools from the same guy. $22 plus shipping

Pikey23

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the shortcut link. I think that I will wait until the tool comes and do it that way. I believe that I found a replacement retainer for $18, if I were ruin the one I have doing the shortcut then I would be out $18 plus the cost of the tool.

Pikey23

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am having an issue ordering the u-joints. I also did not know if I should start a new thread for this question. Do I want the 75832T1 (these are listed as heavy duty) or the 75832T. My outdrive serial number is A422131

Pikey23

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I pulled it apart today. It looks like the joints have hit the retainer at some point. Will this happen with bad u-joints or is it a alignment issue?

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens

What about removing two of ears on locking nut 180 degrees apart for universal with c clamp removal ? there will still be enough for wrench to ever remove and retorqe .

Pikey23

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That is a possibility. But, I will wait for the tool to get here and just do it correctly. I am also waiting on an alignment tool that I am having made.