Help! 4.3l oil leak rear of engine

J.shade

Recruit
4.3l less than 20 hrs. Oil leak at rear of engine, above oil pan. It's not the oil filter. Any help would be greatly appreciated

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Help! 4.3l oil leak rear of engine

Its nice when you list the year of your engine etc... I dunno how diff a volvo is from a merc, but my hi oil leak on the rear of my engine ended up being the oil pressure sending unit. Actually the little tube that connects it to the engine had a hairline crack in it .......... Thats an 86 4.3 mercruiser tho......... Just a thought...... Hopefully its not your rear seal

J.shade

Recruit

Thanks, new here first post, boats a 92 rinker 206 captiva with a reman 4.3l just installed with less than 20hrs. I followed the recommended break in procedure as best I could. but still developed a heavy leak. Took it out and ran it for about 40 mins lost all oil pressure and it started knocking.When I checked the bilge there was lots of oil, I shut it down and added the one qt. Of oil I had onboard. Oil pressure came back to normal, knocking stopped and I limped it back to the dock at no wake speed. When I put the muffs on and ran it I noticed oil spurting out at the right rear of the motor, at about the same height as the top of the oil filter

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks, new here first post, boats a 92 rinker 206 captiva with a reman 4.3l just installed with less than 20hrs. I followed the recommended break in procedure as best I could. but still developed a heavy leak. Took it out and ran it for about 40 mins lost all oil pressure and it started knocking.When I checked the bilge there was lots of oil, I shut it down and added the one qt. Of oil I had onboard. Oil pressure came back to normal, knocking stopped and I limped it back to the dock at no wake speed. When I put the muffs on and ran it I noticed oil spurting out at the right rear of the motor, at about the same height as the top of the oil filter

Ayuh,... Pull the motor, 'n fix the leak....
While you've still got a motor to fix...

J.shade

Recruit

Thanks for the tip. Did some more looking and sure enough it was leaking at the oil pressure sending unit. Thanks again!!