Engine won't start

Nutron

Seaman
I have a 1975 Johnson 115hp motor. When we run down the river to the place we are stopping the engine runs great, I throw it into neutral and it idols just fine. The question is when the motor is shut of for a while, while the kids are swimming I go to start up and move on and every time you have to pull the cover off and choke it with the manuel choke setting on the side of the carb, I use the auto choke on the key and it does not want to start at all. When you manually use the choke setting it kicks over and then you click it to normal and it will start right up. How do I go about correcting this problem? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks for the help.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Engine won't start

Have you watched the choke with the engine cover off? Could be a connection problem, are the plates closing all the way........ you need to troubleshoot the problem a bit more

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Take a jumper wire and run directly from the b+ on the starter solenoid to the terminal on the ckoke solenoid. If it works then the prob is with the choke wiring in the boat.

Nutron

Seaman

Ok, so I pulled the cover off of the carbs and the choke is closed all the way. When I push in the auto choke and then try to start it still does not start. I did notice the auto choke is working correctly. Now when I use the manuel setting for the closed choke it kicks over and then you go back to open choke and it starts fine. When you leave it shut down for a while and come back the auto choke for the key is closed all the way and then you go to crank it over and it does not start, when you use the manuel setting it will crank over and start just fine! I'm puzzled as to what to do?
Any suggestions?

Nutron

Seaman

Could the carbs be filling with to much gas while shut down?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Working from memory so bear with me. You said that you pulled the cover and the choke plates were closed. They should be in the open position when you look at them.
On the manual linkage you are talking about, isn't there 3 positions for the manual linkage, manually on, mannually off, and an auto position? For normal operation the lever should be in the middle (auto) position. In the middle position the choke plates should close when you push the key in.

Nutron

Seaman

Yes, the 3 positions are correct. Let me say that I meant to say when I pulled the cover the choke plates are open until the auto choke on the key is engaged. When the auto choke is pushed in and the engine is cranked over the choke plates close and open when the auto choke is let out. Even though all of that works I still have to use the manuel choke to start and then I put it in the middle position which is the auto position. Also another note, the engine will fire up after it has been shut of but you have to use teh cold start handle to idle it up and then you can go, the problem being is somtimes it will flood out the motor or it acts like it wants to die so then you have to go back and choke it again. once you get it running though it idles and runs great without no problems, it's just when you shut it off for any length of time.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Are the choke plates closing completely when you push the key in, they are adjustable?

Nutron

Seaman

Do you adjust the auto choke feature or the actual plate? And Yes they look like they are closing but I will take a closer look.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You adjust the solenoid that pulls the choke plates closed. The choke plates should close the same wheater you close them manually or use the auto function.

soundchaser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is there a possibility that the choke wiring or ignition switch is screwed up and pushing the choke button is killing the ignition? Besides That, It sounds like that carb system should come apart and be serviced anyway.