Repair/Replace Fuel Pump???

mj58595

Cadet
I have a 93 200 ocean runner that i am having an issue with fuel delivery. If you prime the bulb, motor starts and idles fine but after about a minute (or running the fuel out of the carbs) the motor begins to die unless you pump the bulb. Then the motor will run again. So far i have:

1. Cleaned Carbs
2. Replaced Primer Bulb
3. Replaced fuel lines and hose clamps
4. Lastly, I put a vacuum/pressure tester both before the fuel pump and after the fuel pump with the same result. I can pump it to 4-5 psi, but when the motor runs it drops to nothing.

To me it sounds as if the VRO pump has gone bad, but before i replace or repair, does anyone know of anything else i could to to test the pump? And should i repair with max kit or replace whole unit?

Thanks in advance for your help!

reddogg

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Repair/Replace Fuel Pump???

Rebuild it, vro pumps are expensive to replace so unless you see some damage that cant be repaird, rebuild time. Also I recomend installing a clear glas fuel filter with replaceable elements under the cowling. This will let you see the fuel flow and give nyou an idea of how the fuel pump is working as well as letting you see any crap that is getting past your main fuel/water seperator/filter. It's a nice "diagnostic" tool. I got mine at wally world. another option is to convert it from vro to mix your own gas/oil and use pule type pumps. They are simple, reliable and cheap to maintain/rebuild.

Red

mj58595

Cadet

Thanks, I am already premixing bypassing the oil pump. I took apart the VRO this afternoon and cant see anything that would make the fuel pump ineffective. Could a carburetor issue create the same symptoms?

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you pump the ball and it straightens out it is not getting gas from the fuel pump. The diaphrams can look ok but still not have enough elasticity left in them to pump effectively. Rebuilt the fuel side only, there is a kit available for the fuel side only from someone on iboats. Google the rebuild kit for VRO and I bet it brings you to it here on iboats somewhere.

http://www.maxrules.com/fixomcvro.html

Link to rebuild kit, hope it's OK to post.

Last edited: