Merc Alpha 1 Gen II Outdrive...I've had it!!! I've got to fix the shifting problem..

Trooper583

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have ignored this problem long enough...There is a shifting problem with my Alpha 1. In fact, it has never been perfect since I bought the boat last year.

In short, it misses shifts constantly, in both forward and reverse, but most commonly reverse. there seems to be no rhyme or reason to when and why it misses the shifts. Sometimes it will click, sometimes it won't. Sometimes it will click and then pop into gear, sometimes it won't. More than once I have had to pull the linkage lose and manually put the boat in forward to get back to the dock.

A friend and I took the boat out at the beginning of the season and methodically went through a series of steps to get it adjusted properly. For quite a while it shifted very well and reliably however the problem seemed to get worse and worse. I have checked my cables and they move freely.

I'm just looking for a little friendly guidance on what I should try first. I don't have any experience with out drives so it's kind of hard for me to wrap my mind around possible problems.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Oh yeah, the boat is a 95 Rinker 212 OB with a 4.3L merc.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: Merc Alpha 1 Gen II Outdrive...I've had it!!! I've got to fix the shifting probl

you should probably start with a new lower shift cable, installed and adjusted properly

with the drive off, inspect all shift linkages

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Merc Alpha 1 Gen II Outdrive...I've had it!!! I've got to fix the shifting probl

you should probably start with a new lower shift cable, installed and adjusted properly

with the drive off, inspect all shift linkages

x2 Maybe the outer sheath is busted just inside the bellows, If you have your drive tilted one way or another just the slightest bit, you will get your-no rhyme or reason-..My cable felt like it moved nice and smooth, but it wasn't doing what is was supposed to do. When my lower shift cable went, I had some weird symptoms as well.

Trooper583

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replies guys, I had a friend tell me I should start with the cable. Only I was afraid this would be the suggestion, I am capable of doing this job but I just don't have any experience with pulling the drive off. Anyone got any links on a "how to" for this job or possibly a sticky? Thanks for the feedback again.

Trooper583

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Update:

I purchased a new shift cable kit with the bellows, cable and all new gaskets and o rings. Thanks to my local Mercruiser mechanic, he allowed me to borrow of couple of specialty tools to make the job much easier. The cable removal and routing went very well. However, I wish that I would have known that you can rotate the prop as you insert the drive shaft back onto the splines. I struggled with this for some time. Once i figured this out, it went very smooth. I also wish that I had known that once the cable sheath had been routed, you had to then remove the inner cable from the sheath to get the shift arm onto it. Again, I figured this out and everything went well.

I followed a very rough instruction guide on how to adjust the shift cables, lubed everything and started the engine. It shifts much, much better. both forward and reverse come in must earlier on the shifter (as i suspect they should). I'm going to have to put her on the water and do a final adjustment to allow for the resistance the water offers on the prop. I also wil need to get the shift interupter switch working with the linkage.

Overall, I feel like this is going to fix the problem. Thanks for the suggestions.

Trooper583

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Final update for those who.might be using this thread for research days, months, or years from now... I found the reason my interupter switch was not working was because I was testing out of the water. Last night about 10 pm my curiosity got the best of me and I hooked up and drove the boat ramp and launched. Using the standard mercruiser adjustment instructions, I am dialed in. Thanks.

skargo

Banned

Good job!

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Congrats... A note about you saying you had to remove the inner cable AFTER ya had it routed... I THINK your best off just running the outer sheath 1st, after thats in place, you insert the inner core with the shift thingamajig on it,,,....

Trooper583

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, im very pleased. Went out yesterday and piddled around for several hours. It didn't miss a gear.

gulfvet

Cadet

Some just refuse to believe that those cables stretch over time, but they do. Great call replacing the cable and great job!